Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal ribbon photos

Muerrisch

Yes! l to r;

RCJ Greaves, EW Coster, SS, TR Conning. un-named sheepy-thingy with wooden legs.

Thanks!

an RQMS 1st RWF just before war: something, QSA KSA, something

May I suggest that the 'something' one on his left hand side is probably the Volunteer Long Service Medal, which had a dark green ribbon.

The colour bands in the Medaille Militaire (if it is that) and the QSA seem to almost disappear.

A Topic on a holder of the medaille militaire, including a ?possible? sighting of the ribbon in a photo, has just appeared over on Soldiers here:

William Mosse medaille militaire 130th RFA, Hellllp!!

Cheers,

Mark

Just to pick up the earlier suggestion that the QSA bore an oakleaf for an MiD - this would not be the case. The oakleaf emblem was not in existance before the Great War, as the London Gazette notification was deemed to be sufficient recognition.

I too appreciate the posting comparing the modern colour and period b&w appearance of the BWM and VIC. Quite startling the difference.

Regards

Steve

Just to pick up the earlier suggestion that the QSA bore an oakleaf for an MiD - this would not be the case. The oakleaf emblem was not in existance before the Great War, as the London Gazette notification was deemed to be sufficient recognition.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

On the original plate there looks to be a small stud on the right-most ribbon, but you're quite correct - it's definitely not an oak leaf. I did wonder if it might be a rosette - but why would there be a rosette on a QSA anyway.

Here's a link back up the thread to save people scrabbling up and down:

Zoom-in of Capt Hoare's ribbons

I'm now thinking it's a trick of the light and I've been fooling myself! LOL!

I'm ~80% sure Hoare's centre ribbon is the LSGC, but not at all certain about the other two. Anyone confident about either of them?

Cheers,

Mark

as we have seen, the interpretation of medal ribbons is an inexact art-cum-science-cum-history lesson. I wish someone had done the job in 1920, with proper labelling!

as we have seen, the interpretation of medal ribbons is an inexact art-cum-science-cum-history lesson. I wish someone had done the job in 1920, with proper labelling!

They must have known about these monochrome film reproduction issues back then - how inconsiderate to posterity they were in their choice of ribbon colours - LOL! :lol:

Mark

The First edition of 'Ribbons and Medals - Naval, Military and Civil' by Lieut. Commander Taprell Dorling RN was published in January 1916, the Second edition in March 1916, the third in September 1916 and the Fourth edition in November 1916, with many colour plates showing actual ribbons. Many of the Orders, Decorations and Medals are illustrated in the text of this useful 86 page booklet by way of line drawings.

In 1920 Taprell Dorling produced a revised bound version covering the Great War in some detail. This bound version effectively contains three booklets: Ribbons and Medals of the Great War, Ribbons and Medals Parts 1 and 2 - several hundred pages in all. These original booklets help identify the Orders, Decorations and Medals awarded by the Allied Powers during the Great War as do more modern versions of this standard work.

Philip

Thank you: the combined volume adorns my shelves, but it doesn't help in this particular, does it?

David,

If you could update the medal ribbon shopping list - i.e. what desirables are still missing from the thread - then I'll have another trawl through my pics.

I have a near complete set of the contemporary part-work magazine The Great War, which has a lot of monochrome pictures of senior commanders, including lots of the smaller Allied Powers.

Many are wearing lots of exotic medals. Interested? Or are we aiming to focus on those medals we're likely to come across being worn by Tommies? (The latter I'm hoping!!)

Cheers,

Mark

many thanks: an authentic VC ribbon worn with others is top of the list. And with the miniature VC sewn on to ribbon.

Also, the colonial campaigns c. 1900 particularly the various Africa campaign medals.

Thank you: the combined volume adorns my shelves, but it doesn't help in this particular, does it?

I agree depending upon the quality of the original photos some medal ribbons sometimes prove difficult to identify.

Here is 'Westie' taken in 1916 - he is wearing the 1911 Coronation Medal Ribbon which is identical to that of the 1911 Delhi Durbar - dark blue with two thin red stripes in the centre.

post-48147-1266408429.jpg

You may well ask who is Westie - fortunately in this instance his name has been recorded on the reverse of the photo - 2nd Lieutenant William H.C.Rollo from 12th Lancers to 2nd Dragoon Guards 15th August 1914. As a Lieutenant he received an MC see LG 22.6.1918 page 7422.

Philip

He's a few more for you. QSA, KSA, BWM ribbon and SWB.

4364499885_86edb21c0f_b.jpg

1914/15 Star and ?LSGC. Royal Sussex Regiment, photo is dated 1920.

4365243234_132f7383cc.jpg

9th East Surrey, officer showing ?1914 or 1914/15 Star ribbon.

4364500251_265986b176.jpg

?LSGC. Royal Sussex Regiment, photo is dated 1920.

4365243234_132f7383cc.jpg

Isn't it an MSM, Paul?

Dave

many thanks: an authentic VC ribbon worn with others is top of the list. And with the miniature VC sewn on to ribbon.

Also, the colonial campaigns c. 1900 particularly the various Africa campaign medals.

Not quite in our period, but I thought I'd post this anyway as it covers the Sudan/Egypt Campaign medals:

post-20192-1266502876.jpg

[source: Military Modelling magazine - Vol.35, No.1, 2005]

This is Serjeant Simpson, KRRC, Master Tailor at the Rifles Depot in approx 1898.

The caption to the picture states his medals include ...

1. Egypt & Sudan Medal
  2. Queen's Sudan Medal
  3. QSA
  4. KSA
  5. Khedive's Sudan Medal
  6. Khedive's Star
  7. and the MSM.
That seems to be one short to me! One would imagine with that Service, he'd also be due the LSGC?

Giving letters to the medals in picture reading L-R, then I think I can see ...

a: MSM ??

b: Egypt & Sudan Medal

c: Queen's Sudan Medal

d: QSA ??

e: KSA ??

f: LSGC ?? but seems out of sequence here ??

g: Khedive's Sudan Medal ??

h: Khedive's Star

As you know though Pals - I'm no medals expert, so I'm hunkered in my bunker expecting incoming :P

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Still hunting for VC ribbons, which you'd think would be quite easy in the 60th, but most of my pics of Great War KRRC recipients are poor quality, head shots only, or not in uniform! The KRRC Association ran a series in the Journal on the VC Winners in the early 2000's so I'm now going through those.

Errr.. pardon my presumption, but it would be somewhat difficult for this gentleman to have had his picture taken 'cerca 1898' when he is wearing the Queen's and King's South African War Medals, for a war which hadn't even started yet.

My guess:

Afghanistan 1878-80 with no clasps

Egypt 1882-89 with three clasps

Queen's Sudan 1897

Queen's South Africa with three clasps (? Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal?)

King's South Africa with two clasps (which will be South Africa 1901 and South Africa 1902)

Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal

Khedive's Sudan Medal with Clasp

Khedive's Star - one of the variations

Errr.. pardon my presumption, but it would be somewhat difficult for this gentleman to have had his picture taken 'cerca 1898' when he is wearing the Queen's and King's South African War Medals, for a war which hadn't even started yet.

Errrr ... yes :blush: Didn't spot that - doh!

Of course the source (Military Modelling magazine) isn't exactly a rigorous historical journal, so the caption may well be incorrect anyway.

On the other hand, they do point out that the pill box cap was not worn after 1902.

Cringeing in shame at back of bunker! :whistle:

Mark

Pals,

Here's another Rifleman from me ...

This is Brigadier-General Charles Gosling, CMG, who began the war as OC 3rd KRRC, then became OC 7th Brigade (May 1915), and finally OC 10th Brigade (Dec 1916). He was KiA near Arras on 12th April 1917:

post-20192-1266521920.jpg

After embarassing myself with Sjt Simpson B) , I'm not going to venture a stab at his left breast medals, but the reason I posted his picture is because I think the right breast ribbon is the Royal Humane Society silver medal, and, if I'm right, I thought it would be a useful supplement to David's excellent pic of the full medal being worn by Lt.Col. Cockburn, RWF in Post #4

Gosling was on the Warren Hastings troopship when she was shipwrecked off Reunion in 1896 and was awarded the medal for efforts in twice trying to save a man who had been washed overboard.

Incidentally, what do you all make of the tunic buttons? Those on the pocket flaps are standard rifles strung hunting horn buttons. I can't make my mind up about the main tunic ones though - rifles ball buttons? Or the leather "footballs"? They're definitely not flat.

Cheers,

Mark