Residence: Wandsworth

Death Date: 23 Apr 1917

Enlistment Location: Southfields, S.W.

Regiment: Durham Light Infantry

Battalion: 1/9th Battalion.

Number: 325965

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Aldershot

Can anyone help me to find if this man was transferred from another Reg to the D L I. Being a Londoner is it possible to be a TA man in the D L I or maybe he started in a Lon Reg and then was moved. Question is when did he join or was he as seems most likely conscripted. Being 37 when he was KIA and a father of 3 most likely a later call up but I would be glad to know more. How could I find if he was a Derby man can anyone tell me please? His MIC shows another number 9/7749. Was this his first 9th D L I number and 325965 his 1917 renumber please? Colin

Hi

His medal roll sheet shows only overseas service with 9/DLI with the numbers on the MIC.

However in an effort to get an approx enlistment date I went through the DLI TF Silver war Badge lists

9/7272 A E King enlisted or Attested on 16-6-16

9/7345 T W Light enlisted or attested on 29-5-16

I would suggest that these are Derby Scheme men and given that his number is 450 behind Pte Light I would reckon on a call up of around July August 1916 if he went straight into the Durhams or if he was transferred in from another regiment thats when he joined the DLI.

I have the original medal roll sheet on film but it is so faint it isn't worth trying to send it.

regards

John

John great stuff that really dates it for me . Shame about the medal roll but no matter you have told me a great deal. I will have a look at the Roll when I next make a pilgrimage to NA. I am very grateful for your help. I have noticed when trawling through Soldiers Died in the Great War that there are a number of men who hailed from the part of London / Surry that he came from who ended up in the D L I. Short of the obvious that he was re- mustered into the D L I I am wondering if there was any connection with the D L A with a regiment he may have joined. His ancestors came from North Hants hardly the North East I know. I guess when times got hard men were taken from everywhere and the D L I seemed to have lost a lot of men in 1916. Thanks again Colin

Hi

I had a look at 9/DLI deaths and noted that men numbered 9/74?? were KIA in October 1916 that is at the time of the attack on the Butte de Warlencourt.

There are no 9/77?? KiA so therefore he probably arrived at the front in Nov Dec 1916 and was then renumbered.

9/DLI were renumbered starting 325001 so he was definitely there at the time.

I don't know of any connections with any southern regiments although it is possible that a large draft arrived at the DLI depot or one of the TF reserve Battalions before embarkation.

Have you seen The Gateshead Gurkhas by Harry Moses?

regards

John

Thanks john that nails it down even closer. No I haven't seen the Gateshead Gurkhas (Just seen it on Amazon used £14) I have been doing this for a friend I will see if I can tempt him into buying it. Unlike me his interest is a passing one, only wanting to know about his ancestor. I would never the less like to have a look,as you know when you delve into something you get hooked as I did on this whole subject of W W 1. Now I pick up a book and cant put it down. The D L I has grabbed me I am sitting going through the war Diaries of the 9th and the 5th right now. Its interesting that this man W S Rainbow I have been looking into has followed the direction of 2 members of my family K I A. The one at Eaucourt le Abbaye in Oct 1916 so I am looking at the D L I at The Butte de Warlancourt then to Arras where his brother was killed at Gavrelle 8 days before William was killed at Cojuel on the 23rd April 1917. Thanks for your help. Where would we all be without our fellow Forum Pals. Colin