Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Cameroons Campaign Victoria Cross

bushfighter

• 1 month later...

Have just started reading The Great War in Africa by Byron Farwell which gives a reasonable mention of Captain JFP Butler and the VC action.

Find reading about the African campaigns a bit refreshing after wallowing in the Western Front for years.

David

Have just started reading The Great War in Africa by Byron Farwell which gives a reasonable mention of Captain JFP Butler and the VC action.

Find reading about the African campaigns a bit refreshing after wallowing in the Western Front for years.

David

David,

I totally agree, I seem to find that with Salonika, as well as the small African Campaigns.

Nice site also.

Cheers Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

The beauty of these campaigns is that when you visit these places in the Jungles or velds, nothing has changed. Cameroon is my favourite African state, once out of the Cities, it's like stepping back in time. Pity about the French language everyone is made to talk though. I watched as the French snatched away the last known light railway engine used in the docks and on the plantations, from Kribri port, right from under my nose.

Alan

• 1 year later...

My grandfather Robert Wellsted 19579 served in the RGA during the Cameroun campaign and was wounded at Jaunde (now the capital Yalaunde).

Until some details of where he served came to light recently I knew little if nothing about this part of WW1!

He also served in Sierra Leone, Bathurst(?), Dakar, Togoland, Duala and Lagos. No dates at all I'm afraid but I do have a photo of him and some mates relaxing in a tent in Sierra Leone.

He then went off on May 12th 1916 to the Western Front with Bayencourt listed as his first location. This is the first of a list of no less than 51 French & Belgian villages and towns in chronolgical order where he saw action.

I have only recently discovered this list and I am immersing myself in research - fascinating stuff.

Derek

Thank you for the interesting information.

Bathurst was in Gambia, just up the coast from Sierra Leone.

Can you please put a copy of the photo on this Forum?

(You will need Picasa or similar to shrink it down to an appropriate size.)

Harry

Picture as requested . My grandfather is on extreme right. My mother marked him with a ballpoint cross years ago Grrrrr. Note, what appears to be a St Andrews flag behind? Could be a Scottish unit of some kind?

Robert had two spells in Sierra Leone before and after receiving his wound in action at Yalounde, Cameroon.

On the reverse of the photo there is the photographers logo - as follows.

"Lask-Carew & Bros."

Photographers by Royal Warrant

3 East Brook Lane

30 Corner of Westmoreland

3 Gloucester Street

Freetown Sierra Leone

P1040616.jpg

Whilst researching my grandfathers service in the RGA I have made some progress !

One of the few date related facts I have is that he was in Sierra Leone when war broke out. Having consulted an Order of Battle for that day he must therefore have been a member of 50 Company RGA - Success!

Now I need to explore the Cameroons conflict (in which he was wounded) in more detail.

Derek

Many thanks for the photo.

Maybe one of those downloadable technical photoshops can edit the biro marks out.

I suggest that you obtain a copy of Official History of the Great War. Military Operations Togoland and the Cameroons.

It is an eye-strain of a read because the paragraphs are jammed tight together, but it is THE source for the Cameroons Campaoign.

Harry