Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grimshaw Wigan Group Photo

jacks4jules

Would like any information on that can be taken from this photo PLEASE!

Any regarding uniform etc.

I do know seated left is Harry Grimshaw from Abram Wigan.

He died in Egypt october 1918 serving with the Royal Artillery.

I may be wrong but think there maybe some conection with John Grimshaw VC Lancashire fusilieers.

Mainly the Abram and surname but there to me seems a likeness in looks.

post-32154-1265843282.jpg

Would like to stick my neck out here (no expert at all and fully expect to get shot down by those who are!) and say the chap standing far right has something to do with horses - it's the band over his shoulder. Sadly not up on the correct terminology yet and I'm sure others will be along shortly to confirm or correct.

You may know this already but SDGW gives the following information:-

Name: Harry Grimshaw

Birth Place: Wigan, Lancs

Residence: Leeds, Yorks

Death Date: 23 Oct 1918

Regiment: Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery

Number: 116920

Type of Casualty: Died (so presumably not clear whether DOW or KIA)

CWGC website gives the additonal info:-

Unit Text: "A" Bty. 68th Bde.

Cemetery is Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, Grave/Reference: Q. 6.

In relation to John, is he in the photo? There seem to be (at least) 9 John Grimshaws who served in the Lancashire Fusiliers, although I guess a VC probably singles him out. Am I right in thinking it's often posthumous? And, if so, do you know roughly his date of death?

Woooo - Wiki's got a list and it shows him! Date of action: 25 April 1915; place of action: Gallipoli, Turkey. "626 VCs were awarded in WW1. 40 were awarded for action at Gallipoli or the Dardanelles." http://www.solarnavigator.net/history/victoria_cross.htm

I think I've found John - he was attached to the Indian Army? You might try looking up John Elisha Grimshaw with regimental number 2609, if you're interested in him too.

Photo was, as indicated by 13thChes, definately taken c.1918+ as depicted by the wearing of the overseas service chevrons by the lad on our right, front row. Other than that though not a lot to tell you, apart from the lad rear right is wearing "khaki drill", which was for wear in warmer climates oversease.

Thank you all so much for using your time and expertise thanks very much.

I know at the outbreak of ww1 Harry was living in Bradford though he was from 37 Warrington Lane Wigan.

Indeed his medals were posted there after the war.

Maybe the photo was taken in Egypt?

I wonder if there is a connection with John Grimshaw VC the soldier stood left does have a resemblence to him.

Would you say they are all Royal Artillery men?

Thank you all again.

No, it means he died of sickness or natural causes.

Thanks for setting me straight there, Chris. It's all a sharp learning curve for me.

13thchesh - I realised I should just have Googled John Grimshaw, as it produced the link below and I assume this is the picture you're referring to?

http://www.lancs-fusiliers.co.uk/feature/g...aw/grimshaw.htm

I agree there would appear to be a likeness but I can't say whether there's enough to conclude it would be the same man.

I am sure I saw a thread containing a discussion about the braid similar to the ones at the tunic/sleeve juncture recently but can't find it again. Worth posting to the uniform sub-forum and letting them chew it over, possibly? I think some people have so much expertise in particular areas that they may not have time to peruse the whole board.

As for whether the photo was taken in Egypt is a difficult one. I note Graham positively dates it to c.1918 and the gentleman on the right is in khaki drill, but Harry died later in the year. I guess things would hinge on when he arrived in Egypt so you may need to see if any of his service papers survive. I thought at first the background was a studio backdrop and couldn't imagine why they might be carting those around, but on a closer look it appears to be a large picture on a wall.

If you'd like to know whether Harry and John were related I imagine the place to start would be census returns from 1901 or 1911. They'd have to be very close to be NoK on each other's service papers, even assuming both sets survived WW2.

Harry Grimshaw, seated left, is also wearing a bandolier - you can just see the top pouch of it above his left arm.

post-32154-1265925676.jpg

Photo John Elisha Grimshaw VC 1st Lancashire Fusilieers

Thank you your quit right I should of included a photo of John Grimshaw as well.

Very good of you to take the trouble to google and reply.

Most sites on the net seem to use the same photo of John Grimshaw.

I think there is a likeness .I have looked at the 1901 census but I dont have access to the 1911 census.

Harry lived at Warrington Lane John lived Warrington Rd.

Thought a good idea to post photo of John Elisha Grimshaw VC and one of Harry .

Thanks for all the info I am most greatfull.

• 9 years later...

Not sure if anyone can still see this thread or will be interested but tonight I’ve found Harry Grimshaws WW1 Medals & Rugby Medals are for sale on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-Casualty-Group-9ct-Gold-Wigan-Rugby-Medals-Photographs-Etc-Harry-Grimshaw/123827811356?hash=item1cd4b6741c:g:JmkAAOSwbA9dIg5t

Hope someone related sees this and wants them (nothing in it for me other than wishing a family member wants to locate them).

Just noticed the seller is Jacks4Jules above!

Edited by Hammerman75