Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regimental buttons

Muerrisch

MBrockway (mark) that SR photo was mine.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe! I've added a note onto my file so I'll know who to credit in future - hope you didn't mind me using it. :innocent:

Cheers,

Mark

I do not want to cause ill-feeling here, but my statement referred solely to MGC buttons as the original statement could have been read as suggesting that the MGC wore Corps pattern buttons, not Royal Arms.

My expert on the ancient regimental Gods of RWF does not know if the SNCOs sported regimental buttons during the period. So remain very short of the magic NCO examples in otherwise Royal Arms units, do we not?

My expert on the ancient regimental Gods of RWF does not know if the SNCOs sported regimental buttons during the period. So remain very short of the magic NCO examples in otherwise Royal Arms units, do we not?

Agreed - most of my useful/usable reference pics are riflemen, for obvious reasons, but I'll have another trawl through my county regiment pics anyway.

Tell you what though: this Topic is absolutely brilliant for a rifles nut! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mark

Hi

Sergeant of the MGC with MGC buttons as previously dicussed.

Has anyone any idea what the battle patch is Triangle super imposed on a vertical rectangle.

regards

John

Close up

post-27843-1266265436.jpg

post-27843-1266265509.jpg

Anothert MGC NCO but look carefully at the button I can't make my mind up if its R Warwicks or something else.

Close up

post-27843-1266266091.jpg

post-27843-1266266205.jpg

Anothert MGC NCO but look carefully at the button I can't make my mind up if its R Warwicks or something else.

Close up

Could that be MGG (Machine Gun Guards) on his shoulder strap?

Buttons are definitely Royal Warwickshire Regiment - so he risks the double wrath of the Provost Sergeant!

The very well-badged Serjeant is intriguing too, as that ribbon (unless it is an Indian General Service Medal 1895-1908. unlikely) seems to be a Russian Medal of St George.

Pals,

Found this rather nice picture of a young Rifleman last year on fleaBay (didn't win it) and it still puzzles me:

post-20192-1266328972.jpg

The cap badge seems to have the battle honours in the cross arms, so almost certainly KRRC rather than one of the various Londons units, CLB Cadets, 1st/1st OBLI etc. etc., which all had much plainer cross arms, but then General Service buttons (I think?) and a mystifying cloth shoulder title :huh: .

I wondered about a mid to late War recruit still in training in Blighty? Training Reserve?

Any ideas Pals?

Cheers,

Mark

No mystery about this one. A mid-war shot showing KRR slip-on titles, possibly the red on khaki that seems to have been unique to the KRR, though maybe the standard white on khaki. Plenty of riflemen did not change their GS buttons, presumably because black ones weren't always available.

Regards,

W.

No mystery about this one. A mid-war shot showing KRR slip-on titles, possibly the red on khaki that seems to have been unique to the KRR, though maybe the standard white on khaki. Plenty of riflemen did not change their GS buttons, presumably because black ones weren't always available.

Regards,

W.

Cheers Wainfleet - nice simple unmessy solution: that's the kind we like!

It's the only picture I have showing these slip-on titles, so was not familiar with them.

On the other hand, I have a lot of pics with riflemen wearing GS buttons and a fair few group photos with some in rifles buttons and the rest in GS!

Mark

Could that be MGG (Machine Gun Guards) on his shoulder strap?

To be honest I am not sure about the whole card as it has

Lance Corporal Ackers 61721 Master Tailer 29th Bn MGC Solingen Germany 10/12/19 on the back

That MGC Number was alloted to John Marshall late Black Watch - unless there was some renumbering in 1919 which I doubt.

I note that 29 Div became the Southern Div and by November 1919 was the Independant Division but 29 bn MGC was still in the ORBAT. Appendix 19 The Occupation of the Rhineland.

The writing is old but clear. I've had it years but never got close to an id.

regards

John

THis is my only close-up pic of a QVR regimental button:

post-20192-1266692985.jpg

It's rather worn, but you can make out St George and the dragon under a crown.

The shapes are clearly the same as in John's picture of Hodgkinson above.

As before, I'm make no claim that this example is genuine or from the period, but it at least gives the design!

For info: this St George and dragon motif is also in the central boss of the QVR's KRRC-style maltese cross cap badge. It replaces the strung hunting horn.

Cheers,

Mark

I do not want to cause ill-feeling here, but my statement referred solely to MGC buttons as the original statement could have been read as suggesting that the MGC wore Corps pattern buttons, not Royal Arms.

The MGC certainly did wear Corps buttons, and not only NCOs. This chap was photographed in October 1918.

Sure, to say that all wore them would be misleading, just as it would be to say that all OR soldiers of the Great War wore GS buttons, as demonstrated by this thread...which was my point.

post-29053-1266711680.jpg

I have a nice collection of insignia taken from the uniform of 94345 Cpl G Davies, RWF, that includes titles, chevrons, all-brass cap badge and regimental pattern buttons! One can only assume that these were worn by the man himself, though I have no photographic evidence of this.

Best wishes

Peter

One last word from me, as I do not wish to drag on (some may say, however..)

1. I was not attempting to suggest that MGC soldiers NEVER wore MGC buttons - as the come back seems to be implying.

2. I have and have seen plenty of photographs of MGC buttons in wear; I know they did. My comment was against an inference that the MGC wore Corps buttons only as it could be taken to.

2. Most (NB!) of the pictures of MGC buttons - and collars - in wear in combination are from 1919 on.

3. 100 Company and 33 Battalion are recorded as having ORs wearing buttons and collar badges, against regulations, due to the personal affectation of the company and later battalion commander, Lt Col GS Hutchison.

Staffsyeoman, you were perfectly specific regarding the MGC, and that's fine.

My posts have just tried to illustrate that in many cases we can perhaps be too emphatic about what was worn, as demonstrated by my 1918 (i've noted your NB, by the way) MGC photo. I'm sure that's what we and the others on this thread, are really saying.

Cheers

Peter