Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

regimental buttons

Muerrisch

Hi,

Heres one frea Glasgie a Segeant of the HLI with Pig and Whistle buttons

From the ribbon it could be late 1917 early 1918 if its a 1914 Star as he wears no overseas service cheverons.

These were spotted by that well known sniper Graham Stewart after I thought it was possibly a Tyneside Scot as it was bought in Gateshead.

Regards

John

post-27843-1265999932.jpg

post-27843-1265999945.jpg

Here are a group of Argyll and Sutherland Highlander Senior NCO's

Although blurred the buttons are not GS.

Its good to go back and look through the collection once in a while.

post-27843-1266002010.jpg

post-27843-1266002025.jpg

post-27843-1266002159.jpg

The London Irish Rifles - a Platoon of the 2nd battalion St Albans 1915 - some wearing GS and some regimental buttons.

post-6448-1266007988.jpg

I have had a great time going through and looking closely at the photo's again.

There are a few wearing rifle buttons other than KRRC and RB.

This Cyclist from 1/7 Welsh Regiment for instance

post-27843-1266069099.jpg

post-27843-1266069112.jpg

Another one from Scotland 1/4 Royal Scots Queen's Edinburgh Rifles.

These four are from 1/1/Buckingham Battalion OBLI.

Both GS and Rifle buttons being worn

post-27843-1266069256.jpg

post-27843-1266069271.jpg

post-27843-1266069359.jpg

post-27843-1266069368.jpg

Last one for today got to go and watch the rugby

Pte Thomas Wadlie 6/Cameronians as you would expect a Rifle Regiment wearing rifle buttons.

post-27843-1266069765.jpg

post-27843-1266069779.jpg

This thread has well and truly proved a point, similarly to those on the wearing of collar badges by ORs, and private purchase boots. Classic reference material which upsets a few preconceptions, mine included.

Last one for today got to go and watch the rugby

Pte Thomas Wadlie 6/Cameronians as you would expect a Rifle Regiment wearing rifle buttons.

But interestingly they look like the plain rifles button, not the Scottish Rifles version which had a smaller strung horn within a thistle wreath.

Here are a Victorian ball button version (with the blackening rubbed off) and a WW2 version:

post-20192-1266076182.jpgpost-20192-1266076207.jpg

Pic of button in wear to follow in another post as I've run out of space!

Cheers,

Mark

And here's a WW1 photo of a Scottish Rifles rifleman with the thistle wreath button ...

post-20192-1266076617.jpg

[This was definitely from another Pal here, but I cannot find my note on source - apologies to the owner :blush: ]

The other interesting fact is he's wearing the SD cap not the glengarry, which IIRC was why the photo was originally posted.

Cheers,

Mark

This one is a bit different as the NCO Sgt Beaumont only served with 18 and 20 Service Battalions DLI

However a close up of the buttons reveals them to be regimental pattern

post-27843-1266088319.jpg

post-27843-1266088333.jpg

Frederick Hawcroft as we can see served with the KOYLI but the top button can be seen to be a bugle by the light on the curve definitely not a GS coat of arms.

post-27843-1266088581.jpg

post-27843-1266088597.jpg

This one is slightly off topic as he's not Infantry but worth posting as not many will have see the cap badge of The National Motor Volunteers in a photo. The buttons have a badge on them but it is too blurred to make out.

post-27843-1266088833.jpg

post-27843-1266088844.jpg

post-27843-1266088856.jpg

Frederick Hawcroft as we can see served with the KOYLI but the top button can be seen to be a bugle by the light on the curve definitely not a GS coat of arms.

Very interesting, this is the first one we have seen with Rgtl. buttons who is not a senior NCO, and neither Londons nor Rifles but a county regiment. Simplifed jacket = 99.9% certainty this is a wartime photograph.

This one is slightly off topic as he's not Infantry but worth posting as not many will have see the cap badge of The National Motor Volunteers in a photo. The buttons have a badge on them but it is too blurred to make out.

Difficult to tell, but from the looks of the pocket button on the left of the photo it looks like they are pressed leather "football" buttons (ie not regimentally specific). The triangle that they seem to form is quite distinctive:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqaXtTr

aXtTr.jpg

Priced Vocabulary of Clothing and Necessaries--1909 and 1915 Part III.

IV rates for completing Garments

Regular Forces

Sewing on Buttons (regimental)--

Service Dress----Jacket and Great Coat--Rifle Regiments, Foot Guards and Household Cavalry--Includes removal of non Regimental buttons (i.e. GS or Royal Arms buttons) for each garment Military Labor 3d or civilian 4 1/2d (1915 prices)

For 4th Gordons (Chris) the price to change Gordon's Gaiter buttons to black horn is also included.

Part III of the priced vocabulary is a great reference on what modifications were actually allowed.

Also, SD Jackets etc were available for the TF cut, unmade and without buttons should the TFA wish to purchase these. Type of buttons would be added presumably at the TFA discretion.

MBrockway (mark) that SR photo was mine.

The practice was very widespread as the photos show.

Joe Sweeney

For 4th Gordons (Chris) the price to change Gordon's Gaiter buttons to black horn is also included.

Joe Sweeney

Cheers Joe!

It appears from my photos that black buttons were not universal on kahki gaiters - but do appear to have been almost universal on white dress gaiters.

Thanks again

Chris

Cheers Joe!

It appears from my photos that black buttons were not universal on kahki gaiters - but do appear to have been almost universal on white dress gaiters.

Thanks again

Chris

Chris,

Not a surprise-seems to be a great time waster

Joe Sweeney

post-20062-1266173620.jpg

This corporal in the 2nd 8th Notts and Derby has a regimental button on his epoulette but the others GS

A misleading generalization.

Oh, dear...

As this thread has shown, it would be misleading to generalise that regimental buttons were not worn.

Peter

Oh, dear...

As this thread has shown, it would be misleading to generalise that regimental buttons were not worn.

Or from the photos posted here, to suggest they were widely worn by those under the rank of Sergeant it would seem.....

Tocemma