Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Button

Raster Scanning

I have a studio portrait of two men of the Bedfordshire Rgt. They both have a button (one from top) covered in what appears to be black cloth. I am aware that the conclusion of research points to this practice being adopted as a mark of mourning for a family member (this was discussed at length in "Stand To!" some years ago). Has anyone ever found conclusive proof of this and was it officially sanctioned? The picture I have, shows early new recruits (ill fitting economy jackets, 1914 leather equipment, tailored collars).

was this only practiced early in the war, or did it continue?

John.

I have never seen any official sanction of this practice, but it does seem a very common practice. I have several portraits of men with black buttons dated in 1918/19.

Whilst it has not been officially sanctioned to my knowledge, I have four such named photographs of men wearing black buttons and all have brothers who were killed on active service, it seems to be allowed as a local arrangement within certain regiments or corps, I have one that is definately a Bedford (4th Btn) who's brother was killed with the Hertford's so as a unit they did permit mourning buttons, as any ex soldier will agree the alternative theory put forward that they are tarnished buttons from wearing bandoliers just does'nt make sense, I don't think my Sgt Major would have allowed it!.

Clive.

As you say the tarnished theory is not really sensible. In the picture I have it is obvious that the button is covered in cloth rather than just discoloured.

Forever interested in the Bedford's, what is the name of your soldier?

John.

Thanks to all for your replies.

Thanks Joe for the picture, I have been collecting for some years but never seen an example of these buttons.

John