Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Recruitment by Regimental Areas Ireland

Seamusmac

Seamus,

Never actually counted as i don't have the full list for the City, but must be 2000, not too many 7th & 8th as i recall and the north County about 700.

If i get 10 mins i will count them.

I don't think the reason the City guys from the 6th RIR are not listed is in any way deliberate as the rest of the list contains many Catholic/Nationalist soldiers who registered ok.

It is a bit of a mystery.

Did you have a good trip then?

Patrick, when i get the chance i will give them a check.

Rob

Hi Rob

Was in library again on Saturday asking about AVL - they've been looking for them everywhere but can't come up with them. They asked how long ago it was when you got them as they've asked around and no-one can remember. I agree with your comment that the lack of names from the 6th RIR is unlikely to be deliberate but its mystifying nonetheless. I've managed to track down an 1918 Almanac which lists all houses in Derry and their occupants which could act as a good cross reference at a later stage, so I'll keep you posted.

Messiness/Ypres/Thiepval/Guillemont/Langemarck was great - just good to get your bearings and have a feel for the places where the battles were fought. Small things like being able to look into the woods from where the Derrys, Donegals, Tyrones and all attacked from oppposite the Ulster Tower on 1st July was immense. Hope to go again some time.

Seamus

Hi Rob

Just had a chance to compare these names to my master list. Although the numbers are low, out of the additional 9 you added, 4 are totally new additions to my list and they fit neatly both alphabetically and numerically into the list.

William Carlin 2947 Patrick Curran 2948 Thomas Lynch 3494 Michael McAuley 2908

The men in the 2900s signed up in Jan 1915 and the 3400s in Apr 1915 so they survived the duration of their time in france.

Great stuff rob, many thanks.

Hi Patrick

I checked records for those from the Derry area that died serving in English regiments (160+), and C McColgan is the only one listed for any of the 3 regiments you listed. I've attached some more info on him that you may or may not already have.

Rob may have more luck with the AVL.

Regards

Seamus

Reg No. 5309 Died - 28/09/1915

Name recorded on the Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France. Name commemorated on the Diamond War Memorial.

Son of Matthew (born 1845/46, and worked as a shoemaker circa 1901) and Ellen (born 1850/51) McColgan, Distillery Lane / Duke Street, Waterside, Derry. Husband of Mary Theodosia McColgan, 23, Caroline Place / 3, Eglinton Terrace, Derry. Brother of Elizabeth (born 1886/87) McColgan, 63, Fountain Hill, Waterside, Derry. Also brother of Hugh (born 1885/86).

Trooper McColgan, who was attached to the Royal Horse Guards, had been at the Front for thirteen months before his death. At time of death Trooper McColgan had two brothers serving with the colours

(Note: 2 other McColgans are listed on the diamond memorial as serving with the 1st Inniskillings but I don't know if they are related

)

Thanks Seamus, that is what the Derry Archivist sent me (I am pretty sure the same). One of those is his brother (Hugh IIRC))

Patrick

• 5 years later...
Guest Granuaile

I was scouring the Internet this afternoon, trying to pass time when I decided to see what I could find about my Great Grandfather. I really couldn't believe it when his name was mentioned here. It's also linked to Greenock via his brother. I'm absolutely fascinated by the Great War and was reading the forum posts long after I should have been doing many other things. What a gem!! Truly delighted and amazed. Adds a little more to the little I know about Charles McColgan. To keep the memories alive long after the depth of their sacrifice has been generally forgotten is a humbling experience.