Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW last hope

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

Desperate measures I'm afraid. I have found John Price - see below - on CWGC and all ties in.

However, I have been unable to find his brother - William Price - who died in F&F - I think 1917.

I have pictures of William on horseback with RFA uniform. He has two crossed flags on his cuffs, I assume he was a signaller.

I've been hunting through cwgc and there are a number of William Price entries for RFA, RGA etc. but none of them have relevant 'additional information' which would allow me to make the sibling connection.

Both plaques are with my aunts - but they've been mounted on wooden backgrounds which I cannot take off without causing a major row. I've been helped on this previously by RT and John Hartley but I can't get anymore on the plaques 'avenue'.

Therefore, is it possible that SDGW could be used to do a search for a W for William Price of the RFA whose details would include the Ballymena connection such as set out below.

Their sister, Mrs. Alice Mullan (married name) died 10 days ago aged 99. We are hosting a 70th birthday party for one of the aunts on Saturday evening and it would be great if I could paint the whole picture for them.

I've tried everything else and would be grateful if anyone could make this connection for me.

Name: PRICE

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: (79571). 2nd Bn

Date of Death: 24/07/1920

Service No: 3513402

Additional information: Son of Margaret Hughes (formerly Price), of 7, Alfred Street Place, Harryville, Ballymena, Co. Antrim, and the late William Price.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 31 and 64

Cemetery: BASRA MEMORIAL

Des

I've trawled through all 128 William Price entries. there's only one with an NI connection and that's Acting Bombardier William Price, 66133, KIA 14/4/17 - born & enlisted in Belfast.

Hope this is him. Sorry I can't do better for you, mate.

John

Guest Steve Seaman

Hi Desmond,

SDGW returned 8 hits for William Price RFA,The only one from Ireland was

William PRICE

Born Belfast

Enlisted Belfast

Kia 14/4/17 France and Flanders

Rank A/bdr number 66133

regards

Steve

Guest Desmond6

Many thanks lads - I've tried to post some pics but no success. I'm cutting their size down and hope to post later. There's a battery pic, plus a 'field day' pic.

If only was allowed to take the backs off the plaques! Unfortunately, the aunts who have them as on my 'wife's side' and I can't pull rank!

I think I'm hitting brick walls on this one. But I do agree that the man above may be the most likely candidate ...

Cheers des

EDIT - I've double checked the back of old hand sewn postcards. He is still alive on 20th December 1916 so at least I can say he died between then and Nov. 11/18.

Guest Desmond6

And one more ... even if this does not help the search - someone may find a use for them. I wonder if the handwritten '86X' on the previous post means anything?

post-1-1084458036.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here's the brother I know of for certain. He's sorted.

Initials: J

Regiment: Manchester Regiment

Unit Text: (79571). 2nd Bn

Date of Death: 24/07/1920

Service No: 3513402

Additional information: Son of Margaret Hughes (formerly Price), of 7, Alfred Street Place, Harryville, Ballymena, Co. Antrim, and the late William Price.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 31 and 64

Cemetery: BASRA MEMORIAL

Here are my three candidates for his brother in the pics above. I've been able to rule out the others. Additional info - his mother was Mrs. Hughes whose address in Machenster is given as 8, Hayes .....? , Holloway (I think).

Is there any way to work out which of these men below are related to J. Price above?

From the pictures above I also believe that Wiliam Price was a pre-war regular. Does that help.?

Regiment: Royal Field Artillery

Unit Text: 124th Bde.

Date of Death: 05/10/1918

Service No: 84740

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVI. E. 18.

Cemetery: GREVILLERS BRITISH CEMETERY

Initials: W

Unit Text: "A" Bty. 282nd Bde.

Date of Death: 29/08/1918

Service No: 671964

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. G. 6.

Cemetery: FEUCHY CHAPEL BRITISH CEMETERY, WANCOURT

Unit Text: "C" Bty. 276th Bde.

Date of Death: 09/09/1917

Service No: 676309

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. G. 11.

Cemetery: VLAMERTINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY

Desmond

Did your man have any connection with the TF? The context of photo No1 and the uniforms in Photo 2 , particularly the lace on the cuffs of the uniform, are reminiscent of of pre-war TF units. At a push it may be a New Army unit. Just a thought.

Terry reeves

Terry - I really don't know. Looking at photo 2 I was under the impression he'd been a pre-war regular.

Des

Des.

Just a thought... Could you be "barking up the wrong tree" in looking specifically for a Ballymena connection? The only thing I can see (unless you know otherwise) that mentions Ballymena is his mother's address in the 1920/30's (the CWGC NOK info.). It's possible (especially so, as it seems she had remarried after the death of her husband-John and William's father) that she had moved to Ballymena from somewhere else, making it more than possible that her two sons would have different town details (possibly Belfast?).

Dave.

Dave - thanks for the call.

The connection I'm looking for is in Manchester where the Price boys enlisted. They had been born in Ballymena, moved to Manchester.

That's why I can rule out the Belfast guy who is on the CWGC. I am definitely looking for a man with connections to ... an address on a postcard which reads

8 Hayes something! Holloway, Manchester.

It's buried in amongst all this stuff somewhere!!!

The RE-connection to Ballymena comes AFTER the war when their mother moved back 'home' ... although my wife's aunts still have regular visits from their Manchester cousins to this very day!! Which is nice ... :D

Cheers

Des

Here are my three candidates for his brother in the pics above. I've been able to rule out the others.

Service No: 84740

Service No: 671964

Service No: 676309

Des.

To narrow it a little, forget about 1 and 3 on your list. (1 was born in Durham and enlisted in Sunderland and wasn't called William, 3 was born in Newton,Manchester ,though he did enlist in Manchester).

I can't find any reference to number 2 in either the SDGW hardcopy, nor on the CD.

Dave.

Des

would you be able to scan the address so we could have a look, I have never heard of a 'Holloway' in manchester

I'll try that - at some stage someone has cut off the last few letters. It's in my 'work' office so I'll get it out tomorrow.

Anything Hollow ..... sound remotely Manchester?

Cheers for interest!

des

Dear all - hope is renewed. Is it possible that the guy who Dave (Croonaert) mentions as being from Newtown, Manchester could be the one? Any census information?

Anyone heard of a place called 'Hayes' in and around Manchester/Blackburn because I understand the family may have actually lived in what is known as 'Greater Manchester' now.

. I wonder if the handwritten '86X' on the previous post means anything?

"86X" is the original Photographer's Print/Negative Reference Number to allow ordering/re~ordering

Anyone heard of a place called 'Hayes' in and around Manchester/Blackburn because I understand the family may have actually lived in what is known as 'Greater Manchester' now.

Can't think of a "Hayes" apart from nr. London. "Heywood" maybe, or "Harwood" ?

(Just guessing, now!)

Dave.

.Anything Hollow ..... sound remotely Manchester?

Hollingworth? The only one I can think of in the Mcr. area that resembles it.

Dave.

There are people on this forum who will go to bed tonight thinking Hollow, Holla, Hollli, Holle .... sweet dreams!!

Thanks to all who are now scouring their memories.

Des :D

Thanks to all who are now scouring their memories.

...and their "A to Z's"!!! :lol:

Dave.

Hello Des

In Swinton there is a Holloway Drive which is VERY near Heys Ave. Probably nothing, but the style in which old addresses were written you never know.

Andy

Damn it. I just knew I shouldnt have looked at this thread again.

Hollinwood? Part of Oldham.

Newton. Part of Hyde?

Come on, Des. Scan us everything you got. You know us north westerners just lurrrve a challenge.

Now - where's the A - Z.

And why we knock down all them lovely terraced houses and rename the streets after 1960s aldermen.

John

Sorry folks - scanner is banjaxed.

However I can now safely say that he was a Gunner on 9/8/16. He sends a 'Maple Leaf Forever' silk postcard to his mother - Mrs. Hughes - on that date. Signing himself Gun. Price. W.

He sends an 'Ulster Forever' silk card to his mother on 12/6/16 and marks it 'France'

He sends a silk Christmas card with flags of the allied nations to 'Mrs. Hughes M/c. on 20/12/16'

which lets me know he died AFTER that date.

Finally, the large group photo of his 'battery?' in khaki uniform is addressed on the back, in his handwriting -

Mrs. Hughes

8 Hayes (and what looks like the start of an 'R'

and then either

HOLLAW? or HOLLAND ?

Manchester.

The very best I can do ... it looks as if I'm going to have to break-in to my aunt's house and nick the plaque, take off the wooden 'surround', see what's there, if anything, and replace it!