Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Cyclist Corps Regimental Museum

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian,

By 1922 the cyclist corps had I think all been disbanded and integrated into the infantry and signals.

As far as I know they have no museum of their own but may well be represented in others.

No doubt someone on the forum will know for sure.

There is a very nice memorial to the Cyclists in the village of Meriden (which used to be Warwickshire but I presume is now West Midlands). Meriden always claims to be the centre of England.

Unfortunately, the Cyclists Memorial at Meriden has nothing do with the Army Cyclist Corps. As Chris has said, Meriden is the traditional centre of England and it became a weekend focal point for thousands of individual cyclists and members of cycling clubs who took to the roads to enjoy this hugely popular pre-war pastime.

The memorial was erected in memory of all those pre-war cyclists who gathered on the green on Sunday afternoons and who lost their lives in the Great War. The village still attracts many cycling organisations and a ceremony is held at the memorial each year.

Terry Reeves

Guest Hill 60

Ian - My girlfriend, Jean, has recently become interested in all the Cyclist Units in the British Army & RMLI and has been stumped as to museums. She has found that if a Regiment had a Cyclist Unit then there might be a mention in the relevent museum.

So far she has only seen one display of Cyclist related items and that was at the D-Day Museum, and of course it was WWII not WWI.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Lee - Thanks. I am trying to get some background info on the ACC having bought a memorial plaque a while back to Albert Pykett. There seems to be very little published abou them.

Ian

:unsure:

Ian

You may find www.regiments.org/milhist/uk/cyclist useful

Ian

The following is from 'War Memorials' by Alan Borg (Leo Cooper 1991):

At Meriden Green, near Birmingham, a plain obelisk forms the cyclists memorial. It was erected with subscriptions from cyclists and cycling clubs, following a public meeting convened in October 1919, by the editor of 'Cycling' magazine in response to a suggestion by Mr.F.T.Birdlake.

In an effort to raise funds for the monument the Prince of Wales sent his own bicycle for auction.

The inscription reads ' To the lasting memory of those CYCLISTS who died in the GREAT WAR 1914-1918'

Those who died in the Secon World War have now also been included.

The base of the memorial is regularly adorned wih wreaths consisting of biycle whels decorated with flowers.

• 16 years later...