The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Fred Berry 2/6th Lanc Fusiliers

phil cowling

Can anyone explain why my Wife,s Grandad Sergeant Fred Berry who served with the 2/6th Batt Lancashire Fusiliers had three service numbers apparantly with the same regiment.The online medal roll at PRO appears to show this,After visiting the Lancashare Fusiliers museum in Bury I was informed that he would have had to have served in different regiments but it does not appear on record as such.He also won a MM at Poelecappelle 9th Oct 1917.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Well he was a territorial soldier which means that he would have been given a six digit number when the TF units were re-numbered in 1917.

Phil,

it is perfetly possible for him to have had 3 different numbers while serving in the LF. Before Mar '17 he would have been renumbered if he moved from one battalion of the LF to another, in Mar 17 he would have received a 6 digit number which he would have retained for the rest of his time in the LF.

see

http://www.tf.1914-1918.net/TF_renumbering_index.htm

Jock Bruce

Thank's for your help everyone that clears up one issue.

Phil, I believe the man who played Albert Tatlock in Coronation Street won an MM in that action with the LF. The medal actually appeared in some episodes, as I recall. Can anyone confirm or otherwise? Phil B

Phil, I believe the man who played Albert Tatlock in Coronation Street won an MM in that action with the LF. The medal actually appeared in some episodes, as I recall.  Can anyone confirm or otherwise?  Phil B

Yes I remember these episodes,I actually wrote to Granada @ the time,who kindly put me in contact with the wardrobe suppliers~a Medal & Militaria Dealer from Manchester~The actual MM used belonged to an ASC Private!!!,It was "Albert" who had "won" the MM with the Lancashire Fusiliers,in France;Jack Howarth the Actor who played 'Albert' had Enlisted into the Lancashire Fusiliers in 1914,Being of "small stature " he transferred to a Bantam Battalion,but was demobbed some 6 Weeks later,so never served O/S;Thank you for reminding me of this incident~I believe it preceded the Alfie Moon Dads BEM,,Neighbours DFC,theme in that Albert was "Flogging" his Medals to subsidise his anticipated Marriage to Minnie Caldwell??It seems when ever the script writers get stuck for an idea a valuable[or not so valuable] set of Medals gets a starring role!;I do believe they made other appearances,including his Funeral?

• 16 years later...
On 13/05/2004 at 14:04, HarryBettsMCDCM said:

Jack Howarth the Actor who played 'Albert' had Enlisted into the Lancashire Fusiliers in 1914,Being of "small stature " he transferred to a Bantam Battalion,but was demobbed some 6 Weeks later,so never served O/S;

I may be 16 years late, but I will say that he has a medal card with the number of 33002. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the update,