Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ancestry request school project Upper Brailes

tharkin56

HEMMINGS, Private, Charles. G/42821, 4th Bn., Middlesex Regiment formerly DN2/228183, Royal Army Service Corps, Motor Transport. Killed in action, near Ypres, 31st July, 1917. Age 28. Son of Daniel and Mary Ann Hemmings, of Upper Brailes, Banbury, Oxon. Born 12th August, 1888 at Upper Brailes, Warwick. Enlisted October, 1916 at Grove Park, Kent. Resided 104, Oliver Street, Coventry. Storekeeper. Memorial Ref. Addenda Panel 59. Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

I was asked by a friend to help out his neighbour children you know how these things go, anyway choose this casualty who was local to Upper Brailes.

Any help appreciated.

Trevor

Other than the 4th bttn. was known as The Duke of Cambridge's Own and he was entitled to the British War and Victory Medals, you already appear to have all the info that is available on Ancestry.

Using Geoffs, there were 70 men of the 4th Middlesex killed that day, might be worth investigating what they were attacking and where on the Somme.

You may be able to find a photograph of Name on the Menin Gate (I think some Forum Pals are working on that now - Beta search for the thread on photos at Menin Gate).

I have attached a Word document for the children to use or refer to on those who died that same day, also other casualties from Brailes, so they may be able to check the addresses or families, plus 28 of men who had similar Service Numbers who would have enlisted at about the same time and who he would have trained with, and which other Battalions in the Regiment they went to.

Explaining Battalions may be a PhD subject though!

Hemmings_and_Pals.doc

many thanks i have passed info on to pupil involved who is as part of the project going to the menin gate.

• 11 years later...
On 01/02/2010 at 23:49, tharkin56 said:

Charles Hemmings was my great uncle. My great grandfather is Frank Hemmings Charles's brother. I'd love to know how the project went. 

Gary

I will ask how it went I have no recollection of getting an update at the time, 11 years ago. I suspect the child who had Charles as his project has long since left the school. If you have  a photo would be great to upload.

• 7 months later...