Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps BW & V medal Roll

Annette Burgoyne

Hi All

Does anyone know which roll (s) of the Labour Corps BW & V medal rolls hold men from the King's Shropshires, I know the roll run from WO329/1787 tO WO329/1895 but could not find which one held K.S.L.I. men.

Thanks in advance

Annette

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Annette,

Your question related to the BWM/Victory medal rolls and JB has pointed you to the 14/15 Star.

The KSLI had no Infantry Labour Coys or Infantry Works Coys, so you will find few in no LC men in the number range 1 - 186240. During the course of my work I have seen blocks of KSLI men in the 300000's and 400000's the later were Agricultural Coy men.

Ivor will probably have more and better info than this.

Ian

Thanks Jock and Ian, Charles Fair had already pointed me in the right dircetion for the roll number of the Labour Corps 1914-15 Star that contained K.S.L.I. chaps. I had just hoped that the BW &V rolls for Labour Corps also grouped men by their former units. Ian am I right in thinking that the BW & V rolls for LC are in numerical order, and that K.S.L.I. chaps who transfarred to LC are scattered willy nilly thourgh the rolls.

Again Thanks

Annette

Annette

I know little about the medal rolls - never seem to have time to look at them on my infrequent visits to Kew.

But you are correct that the men are scattered throught the rolls.

I am sending you the men I can positively identify as formerly KSLI - sorry it is not a very large number.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Anette,

I think you have your answer. What I can do is next time I am at the PRO is look at the roll with the ex KSLI men on. I seem to remember one block of 12 men and other smaller scatterings as Ivor said.

Problem is with LC medal rolls that they do not give Battalion or Coy information, so their untility is somewhat limited as opposed to an Infantry medal roll.

Ian

:)

Problem is with LC medal rolls that they do not give Battalion or Coy information, so their untility is somewhat limited as opposed to an Infantry medal roll.

Thanks Ian for letting me know this - saves me washing my time looking at LC BW & V rolls. It's a big blow to find this out, several hundreds of K.S.L.I. lads end up with LC, so I may never find out which K.S.L.I. Battalion they served in. I will still look at LC 1914-15 star roll, hopfully I can use the dates that men entered field to give me clues which Battalions they were in orginaly.

Annette