Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Friedrichshafen

westkent78

Does anyone know of any POW camps in the area of the Bodensee/Lake Constance, specifically around Friedrichshafen? I'm looking to trace a POW of the Rifle Brigade captured at Passchendaele (hope that's right! rolleyes.gif ).

Thanks,

Matthew

Thanks for that link, but nothing there unfortunately. He must have been in a non-US camp.

I've been able to narrow the area down further to between Friedrichhafen and Lindau, so its within the easternmost few miles of the north coast of Lake Constance.

I know that area pretty well and it's possible I have a contact there (too late tonight to start looking up), although I know the Uberlingen / Sipplingen area much better. Do you have any more specific information, such as whether it's a coastal location or inland which you are seeking?

Gwyn

Sadly not.

I'm gleaning bits and pieces from my Grandfather and his Cousin who both knew the P.O.W., and went on holiday in that area. The P.O.W. recognized the area from their photos.

I do get the impression that it was more likely to be a coastal location, so possibly around Langenargen, Kressburg, Wasserburg, Friedrichafen and Lindau- but I'm just getting that from a map.

I'd be glad of any help.

Thanks.

Any pics? - that would help.

Gwyn

Matthew

There was a POW camp at Constance on the Lake, it was where officers and men who were being sent to Switzerland for internment were concentrated. Was your men interned in Switzerland?

Regards

Steve

Gwyn,

Afraid not. They're probably on slides from the 50's or 60's and somewhere up in the attic where my Grandfather can't get them, and I'm in the US.

There must be a list somewhere with all the POW camps listed- thought I'd seen a thread on it in the Forum but I can't find it again.

Steve,

To be honest I don't know. My sense is that he was not interned, but you never know. Good to find out that there was a camp at Constanz though. Thanks.

Not much to go on, I know, but any further help would be appreciated.

I think the list you were thinking of is

British Red Cross and Order of St John. January 1919, List of Internment Camps for British Prisoners of War in Enemy Countries, issued in connection with the work of the Central Prisoners of War Committee, 4 Thurloe Place, London SW7

it certainly includes a map.

J

Julian,

Sounds pretty good. Can it be accessed online, or are there reprints to be had anywhere?

Matthew

Matthew

The book details are as follows:

Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria by Mrs Pope-Hennessy.

It was published by Nisbet & Co. Ltd and was reprinted by the Imperial War Museum.

Apart from the map the book gives brief descriptions of the camps. I got my copy from N&M Press. If you details of any of the camps let me know. The details are often very brief.

Regards

Steve

this booklet is available online via the imperial war museum site

this booklet is available online via the imperial war museum site

Can you post a link, please? I can't find it.

Gwyn

• 4 weeks later...

Don't suppose you have any further information have you?

I have sent you a PM.

I hadn't forgotten this quest.

Gwyn

• 3 weeks later...

I think I might be able to help. Do not get your hopes up bit I think this is the same POW camp that my Great Grandfather was in. If it is then I will be in touch soon.

BAK

Here's hoping.

Gwyn,

No afraid I haven't found any more information at present. But the booklet can be found on Naval & Military Press' website.

Just type in "Map of the Main Prison Camps in Germany and Austria". Priced at 5 british pounds.

Matthew