Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Students' War Letters

Robert Dunlop

This is a fascinating compilation of letters written by German university students who were killed in the war. The intention of the German editor in the 1920's was to dispel the myth that German soldiers were callous, ignorant automatons. Clearly, this group of soldiers had above average academic experience. There are some very powerful and very beautiful letters. The devotion to the Fatherland comes through very strongly in many cases. Some of the letters are extremely moving...

'One has to do all sorts of things..., things one had no idea before, but one doesn't mind. We manage to make ourselves quite snug here, too. We have constructed dug-outs in which we can lay our weary heads at night and slip into to be out of the way of shrapnel. We also get a sip of wine now and then, for some of our patrols have brought quite a lot of bottles of red wine with them! ----

[below in a different hand]

I take the liberty of completing this letter begun by your dear son and brother, who is unable to finish it himself, being wounded. In order to break the news to you, I respectfully inform you of this. Be prepared for the worst. The bullet which struck this hero was aimed only too well, for it killed him. Comfort yourselves with the knowledge that he died the finest of all deaths - a hero's death for the Fatherland.

With friendly greetings,

A Comrade, who means this kindly'

And another:

'My dear good parents and brothers and sisters,

Yes, I can hardly believe it myself, but it's true: I am on my way to you and home. Oh, how happy I am to see a brighter world again, instead of the world of horror! At last I am free from that dread which has always haunted me, that I should never see you or your world again, for Fate has presented me with the hope that, unless some unfortunate obstacle should arise, I shall look into your dear eyes once more.

[Four days later he died of tetanus in the Military Hospital at Luxemburg]'

Only a handful of letters describe details of fighting on the various fronts.

A compelling book, bearing in mind that the students cannot be considered typical of German soldiers who served in WW1.

Robert

More of this kind of material in 'World War I and European Society - A sourcebook' by Marilyn ShevinCoetzee and Frans Coetzee

Many interesting articles ... but boy is it heavy!?

Des - thanks, enjoyed reading the stuff above. Is it not amazing to see the transformation in attitudes towards 'service to country/nationalism' .. then and now. Hard to get the head around ..