Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Notts & Derby Reg

Guest Death Or Glory Boy

Guest Death Or Glory Boy

Hi could anyone help? I am looking for records of my Grandfather Thomas Sire Flory might have been known as Sire Thomas Flory. He was a Notts & Derby going by his cap badge and where he was from. I have very little information, but like to know which battallion he was attached to. He may have tranfered to the MGC at some point.

Also Horace Flory as above attached to what I believe to be the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infanrty.

Thanks

Hi Matt,

I've found a Medals Index Card for Thos S Flory, Rifle Brigade, Machine Gun Corps. No other obvious candidates on Ancestry. Gives two numbers, S/6758, 17924, the first one probably indicating a previous battalion, as you mention. Entitled to the three medals - Victory, British and 1915 Star. Theatre of war left blank. Date of entry therein 19.5.15. No notes or remarks.

MIC for Horace E Flory, a Private in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, regimental number 44624. Entitled to the Victory and the British. Everything else blank.

Other possible contenders: H W T Flory, Royal Army Medical Corps, no. 1832 and H G Flory, Merchant Service, no number given.

Hope that gives you something to be getting on with.

Louise

to tie in with the above replies :

Cpl William E Flory Notts & Derby Regt is shown as KIA 1917, originally from Suffolk, enlisted Heanor, Derbyshire, resident Nottingham according to SDGW.

born 1886, William Edward/Edgar Flory of Fletcher St, Heanor, Derbyshire according to service record on Ancestry. Enlisted 1st June 1915. Married to Bertha 1910; 2 children.

CWGC link :

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=452315

1901 census with family in Suffolk; no Thomas/Sire show as a sibling so this Notts & Derby man not likely a relative.

Thos S Flory shown as Rifle Brigade and MGC- any chance that the photo isn't of Thomas Flory but a brother/cousin or wearing the hat of brother/cousin?

Horace E Flory has an MIC showing KOYLI, number 44624. No date of entry to theatre shown. Birth record Q2 1888 Nottinghamshire for Horace Edward Flory Marriage records 1917 to Tayler and 1929 to Smith, both Nottinghamshire. Death record 1954 Nottinghamshire. Can't find on the 1901 or 1891 census records.

Sire Thomas Flory birth entry on Ancestry for Q4 1892 Derby/Notss district and death record for 1981 Nottingham district. Marriage of Thomas S Flory, Q2 1920 in Nottingham district. No sign of him in the 1901 census on Ancestry

George Alfred Flory, birth record Q1 1884 Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire registration district; death record for George A Flory 1962 Nottinghamshire. Not found on the 1891 or 1901 census records.