Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

148 days on the Somme

burlington

I have been trying to source this book in the UK.

I could have bought it at Avril's last week but didn't because I thought I could source it easily over here.

I have tried all the usual outlets, N&M, Amazon, BOL, Ray Westlake (not on catalogue but waiting for an email) etc.

Any ideas anyone?

If no-one can help you find a copy nearer home, I'll get you one from Avril's on Friday, and post it to you when I get back.

Tom

What are peoples' opinions of this book?

In how much detail does it go into?

I have "The Somme: The day by day account" by Chris McCarthy as a reference point for comparisons.

Thanks,

Matthew

I think it is good- otherwise I would not want to buy it!

A lot of detail about regiments etc who took part and then detailed info. about the fate of each of the 28 + 'objectives'.

I like both of the books in this series. There is much more detail than in Chris McCarthy's 'Day by Day', which is itself a very useful book and one that I refer to often. They complement each other.

I met Barry when he was delivering a batch of books to Avril's and he kindly signed my copies - a thoroughly nice man.

Regards,

Ken

I bought 1 of each at Avril's last year and I think the way Barry has done the cross referencing is brilliant. In "148 days on the Somme" if you look up Objective 23, then you get everything about High Wood so when you have worked out his system (and he uses it in both books) you can track down what Regiment was where, what Division they were in, etc, etc.

I also found Avril's prices were good (I paid 30Euro for 148 days and 15Euro for The First Day) and both are signed by Barry.

Highly Recommended!

Peter ;)

If no-one can help you find a copy nearer home, I'll get you one from Avril's on Friday, and post it to you when I get back.

Tom

Thanks Tom for a very generous offer.

The cost of the book at Avril's is 20 euros. I will let you have a cheque for this plus the postage if you could let me know off-forum where to send it to.

Thanks again

Martin

Welcome back, Martin.

I use Blackwells, the Oxford book shop, for academic books.

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/bobuk/scripts/welcome.jsp

Et voila... ten seconds after reading this message...

http://bookshop.blackwell.co.uk/bobuk/scri...ctid=1870384792

£19.95

(If this link doesn't work, the home page is easily accessed.)

Gwyn :)

20Euros is a real bargain, I think. Best price via Bookfinder is £20. Are we sure the "Avril Price" isn't 30 Euros ?

It said 20 euros on the back cover- I think. :ph34r:

Thank you very much for your comments. Both books in the series are now on my "to get" list.

Hi There,

You can source this book through either Ray Westlakes books or steve Pomms at Battlefrontbooks.com.

Andy

Just Checked and Battlefront books have both of these in, the 148 days is £20 and I have to agree with Peter, I find the books excellent and thorough.

Andy