Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis A Harvey 73211

Raster Scanning

I suspect the above man was previously with the 7th Beds, if he was he was wounded on July 1st 1916 with a gunshot wound to the wrist.

This can be confirmed by some kind person looking him up on SDGW. I am after confirmation that Lewis A Harvey, 73211 11th N&D Regiment, was from Tempsford and had previously served as 20335 Bedfordshire Rgt.

Your assistance is very much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

John.

John:

Got this from the 1901 census.

The only Lewis Harvey from Tempsford listed.

Hope this helps!

gordon

Name Age Where

Born Administrative

County Civil Parish Occupation

Lewis Harvey 6 Bedford Bedford Tempsford Entire Scholar

Hi John

I have a small database of 73*** men in the 11th Sherwoods. HARVEY did indeed come from the Beds Regt, but I don't have a battalion. Middle name is ALBAN.

SDGW doesn't list former Regt. Born Bedford, enlisted Ampthill, resident Tempsford.

War Diary entry

26/09/16 The battalion relieved the 13 Bn (68 Inf Bde) in the line occupying a trench sector from M26 d 5.0 (PUSH ALLEY) to M33 b 9.1 (PRUE TRENCH). The 150 Bde, 50 Div were on the right while the 8 KOYLI were on our left with their left resting on LE SARS - BAPAUME road M25 c 6.5. The relief was completed by 2300. Casualties 1 OR KIA, 14 W, 4 M, 2 Shell shock.

27/09/16 Occupied hostile trench known after as 26th AVENUE by C Coy without loss and consolidated. 1 prisoner, 5K 12 W inc. 2/Lt R D TREVOR - ROPER, 3 shell shock.

I had hoped to put up a photo of his headstone, but I haven't been to Adanac Cemetery yet. I can also tell you that his name does not appear in the War Diary from July to September of 1916, and that he was likely to have been a reinforcement after 1st July.

Why the 73***s? Grandad was 73130!! An ex-7th S Staffs Gallipoli man, he is likely to have joined the battalion on 21st July when this is in the war diary:-

"Draft of 130 men from 7 South Staffords arrive"

Thank you both.

Grenwoodman.

I too have a database running to a few thousand men who served in the 7th Beds regiment.

Harvey is mentioned in a local newspaper account see below. I was trying to find out his service number for the data base. A check of the on line MRI reveals 2 Lewis Harveys in the Beds Regiment and no Battalion for either. One later served in the N&D Regt.

A check on the CWGC site reveals one of them was killed with the 4th Battalion Beds Regt and another Lewis Harvey was killed while serving with the 11th N&D Regt .

What I wanted, was to confirm that the 11th N&D Harvey was the same man mentioned in the newspaper cutting. With the aid of all these different resources I can now add his number to my data base.

Thanks again.

John.

post-1-1084315947.jpg

• 5 years later...

Just discovered this site!! My uncle was LEWIS ALBAN HARVEY. I have lots of information on him, but do you still require any information as I notice your intial enquiries were in 2004!!!!!!.