Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Battalion DLI - Sergeant Craddock

Beinn

I am trying to find as much information about my great grandfather as possible. Unfortunately much of the information I had been told has been misleading..much of it due to my grandfather not knowing his father. Any help or information would be much appreaciated...unfortunately I do not have much time to actually visit records offices...so if that is needed that may take me some time to do. I am hoping someone might have research the battlion etc.

Current info I have:

Name: H Craddock (believed to be Harry, but not sure is this is his correct name)

Unit: 13th Battalion

Regiment: Durham Light Infantry

DoB: 1888(unsure of actual date)

Died 20/9/1917 (believe to be in Ypres)

Medals: DCM, MM

Service Number: 16194

I have managed to get most of this info from the CWGC. I do not seem to be able to get any info from the Medal Roll. I have also found that at the time of his death the 13th was with the 23rd Div, X Corp, 2nd Army fighting the German Sixth Army. I believe in the region of the Ypres-Commines Canal.

I am interested in any information about my great grandfather such as how he got his medals and when, who was in his company/platoon/section, the action of the battalion on the day of his death and anything that might be of interest.

many thanks

Mark

If you go to the PRO docs online, his record card is held (just checked for you 2 entries 1 for SGT and 1 for Private, The london Gazette should hold the dates of his awards althogh the search is sometimes a pain. If you do a search on the 13th DLI you should get through to the British Regts web site which will give details of troop movements :D

Mark,

It might, also, be worthwhile contacting the DLI Museum & Durham Art Gallery. The regimental biographer may be able to provide additional information, especially as your great grandfather was one of a select band of only twenty-seven, or so, men to be awarded both the DCM & MM. The DLI Museum's E-Mail address is DLI@durham.gov.uk, and the telephone number is 0191-384-2214.

For some reason I've yet to establish, the Forum appears not to like the attachment I first tried to include. This was a photograph of men of the 13th Battalion, DLI in assembly trenches before the battle of Menin Road Ridge on 20 September 1917 (Imperial War Museum reference number Q5970). The strain on one of the men, in particular, is obvious for all the see. If you'd like a copy, E-Mail me your address and I'll try to send the photograph electronically, failing which I can always post a copy.

Until it returned to France from Italy in September 1918, the 13th Battalion, DLI was brigaded with its sister 12th Battalion in the 68th Infantry Brigade (23rd Division). However, for the battle in 1917 it was attached, temporarily, to the 122nd Brigade (41st Division).

By way of background information, on 20 September 1917, the battalion was one formation that was able to secure a foothold on the hotly disputed 'Tower Hamlets' spur. The Battle of Menin Road Ridge (20-25 September 1917) was part of the Passchendaele (Third Ypres) offensive. The 13th Battalion, DLI was tasked to mount the second phase of the brigade's attack on the 'Green Line', on the forward slope of the Gheluvelt plateau astride the Menin Road, after passing through the two battalions that captured the first objective, the 'Blue Line'. Zero hour was 05:40, and the battalion was consolidating its objective by 11:05 hours. At 16:00 hours, the Germans began massing for a counter-attack, which caused the battalion to fire a SOS signal a little over three hours later. British artillery fire helped to break-up the counter-attack, and it did so, again, the following day when others were launched. During the final German assault, even battalion HQ personnel were called upon to take up arms. Four Lewis gun teams were borrowed from the 12th Battalion, DLI, to bolster the defence. Not surprisingly, perhaps, the action was costly, with the battalion losing an officer and forty-four ORs killed, four officers and one hundred and seventy-seven ORs wounded, and sixteen men 'Missing'. I should add that S. G. P. Ward, in his book 'Faithful: The Story of the DLI (1962) cited total casualties numbering two hundred and ninety-four men, including five officers.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your endeavours to find out more.

David T

Mark,

I've just had a quick look on the CD-ROM 'Soldiers Died' ... not a lot to add to what you put in your original posting, but your great grandfather's Christian name is shown as Harry. He was born at Cradley Heath, Worcester, and enlisted in Durham City. At the time, he lived in Spennymoor. The only other thing to add is that he died of wounds.

David T

Hi Mark

Re :- 16194 Corporal Harry Craddock Durham Light Infantry DCM MM. I have added a reply to the other thread that you are involved with :- re London Gazette. This confirms the date of his DCM Citation 26/09/1916 and MM 08/12/1916.

Steve

• 7 years later...
Guest Hellene

Hi David,

I have been researching my grandfather Private Joseph Lowe who served in 13th battalion of DLI. I have had some information from Mark who you replied to and have seen his website dedicated to DLI... what I would like to know is there any way I could get a copy of that photo you have. I have no photos of my grandfather in uniform and it would be nice to have something even if he is not in it..

also his service card said that he was attached to General Hospital...do you know anything about that??

Cheers

Hellene

• Admin

Hellene

Welcome to the GWF. David T has not been on the forum since 2009, you might be able to email him- if you click in t=his name, it will take you to his profile and there might be an option to email him.

Michelle

Guest Hellene

Thanks Michelle,

I tried that and it didn't work so I emailed someone for some help so I will wait to see what happens...you don't know anything about the hospital question?.

As for the photo I will keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Hellene