Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

English death certificates

Derek Robertson

I don't have much grasp of what the English system is for obtaining death certificates.

I have found 2 of my boys who died in England - very possibly both non-comms.

The first is:

CAIRNS, William died in 1918 aged 27, district Longtown, vol. 10b, page 1044

Second is:

ROBSON, Adam, died 27/5/17 in Carlisle, Volume 10b Page 709

Where do I go now to obtain the death certificates etc?

Thanks Terry.

.................. Where do I go now to obtain the death certificates etc ..............

Always Always where ever possible go to the local Register Office. You then have the reduced likelyhood of errors !

See this -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;#entry1285072

and this for locations -

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/regoff.html

Owen Hales

They arrived today but compared with Scottish death certificates, the English versions are really lacking in detail. :wacko:

Derek

We are lucky that only our system has details of the parents, etc. As you have found the lack of info is a problem for Scots dying in English hospitals making it difficult to prove the link to home. Seldom is the informant a relative in these cases.

• 10 years later...

I don't see Robson on CWGC - was a case ever put forward for him? I assume he is this man:

Fold3_Page_1.jpg.8cf4478fd3e102a738b5177619b6a951.jpg

His disability was phthisis which appears to have been aggravated by active service, so it looks good to me:

GBM_WO363-4_007273673_01002.jpg.fc8287ef8fd0b5d1c8c42c3b4db89eae.jpg

The dependant's pension to W James Robson was paid under Article 21 of the 1917 RW (as per the pension ledger). This requires the death be due to service.

image.png

The criteria under Article 11 being
image.png

Craig

Paul,

From memory the case was given to Kinnethmont (above) to query but the response was that the case was unlikely to succeed.

However, the new evidence you have provided (where did that come from?) changes the case greatly.

Are you able to put him forward?

As long as he died from TB then it looks good to me (I'll double check it though), but it would of course need the DC which is why I'm hoping you've held on to a copy! The first image I posted is from the WFA pension record on Fold3, the second image (which is more useful) comes from his service record on FMP & Ancestry.

The first page of the medical report states that the disability originated in 1909 and that it was not caused by service, but the later note that it was aggravated by service should do.

I don't suppose you recall the details of your other man William Cairns?