Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Q Coy ADRIC (Black & Tans)

HERITAGE PLUS

Can anyone give me some details about this event?

Dave

Can anyone give me some details about this event?

Dave

Hello Dave, I hope the following is of some help,

An attempt was made on Monday morning the 11th April 1921, to destroy the London and North-Western Railway Company's Hotel at North Wall, Dublin. This Hotel was occupied by "Q" Company of the Auxiliary Division, R.I.C. who had taken possession three weeks earlier. Their duty was to watch the arrival and departure of steamers, to prevent the importation of arms and ammunition, and to keep an eye on suspected persons. Shortly before 8:00 o'clock when groups of Dockers were going to work, the attackers mingled with them and walked down the Quays. When the attack began, an Auxiliary sentry on duty outside, was shot in the leg, but he succeeded in getting inside and raising the alarm. Many of the Auxiliaries who had been out on duty during the night were in bed when the attack began, without waiting to dress they seized their weapons and joined in the defense of the Hotel. The Hotel was attacked from three different points, men armed with bombs and revolvers attacked the windows from two sides, while others who were stationed on adjacent roofs with rifles, fired at anything they saw moving inside. The men on the road took cover behind barrels that they rolled in front of them as they advanced to the windows hurling their bombs. Major Ryan, the Company Commander was coming down the stairs when a bomb came through the window, knocking off his cap, the bomb however failed to explode. The Auxiliaries most of whom were only partly dressed, came out on to the road and replied vigorously to the fire of the assailants, who quickly fled and were pursued in every direction. Some escaped across the canal, others towards the city, and they raised the drawbridges to prevent further pursuit. Parties of five and six Auxiliaries chased here and there, after escaping assailants and minor engagments took place at several points. One man who had a bomb in his hand was shot in the head and fell in the road, he died on the way to hospital, two other men suffering from gunshot wounds were taken to hospital. The sentry wounded at the start of the attack was the only Auxiliary casualty, he was Temporary Cadet Gerald L. Body, formerly he had been a 2/Lt. in the Royal East Kent Regt. during the late War, his Auxiliary No. was 681.

Dez

Dez

Many Thanks just what I needed. :D

Dave

post-32177-1264517955.jpg

Hi dave,

Here's a photo as it is today.

Peter

Peter

Thanks.

Dave

It is an interesting bit of history, I have been ti Dublin a number of times visiting balls Bridge, there is an inscription on one of the buildings there detailing an officer who held up the British.