Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collar badges on SD jacket collars.

tocemma

Wearing his shoulder titles on the collar as he had no shoulder straps to fit them to?

• 2 weeks later...

Summary:

Use of a collar badge of some sort [often a shoulder title in gilding metal] was surprisingly common in the war period.

In no particular order, and not distinguishing between SD or 'Kitchener Blues', the following REGIMENTS have been noted above as having a collar badge for at least one of their battalions:

E Surrey

Essex

NF

Herts

Cheshire

Kings Liverpool

Buffs

DLI

RF

Inn. F

Welsh

KOYLI

MG Guards

Leicester

Ox and Bucks

Y&L

W Yks

Yorks

9th Suffolk

and, of course, Pioneer battalions of almost all regiments.

• 2 weeks later...

Grump - you can add 9th (Service) Battalion, The Suffolk Regiment to your list.

Most of them seem to have shoulder titles as collars like this, although a handful have shoulder straps on this pattern of Kitchener Blue with the titles on, and some have no titles at all...

PS: If any of you have genuine examples of Kitchener Blue kit it would be great to see a fresh thread dedicated to it...

post-1565-1268866227.jpg

post-1565-1268866699.jpg

"Royal Fusiliers with collar bombs. Note the shorts, hose tops and fancy puttee winding! Small cloth patch at the top of the sleeve. Anyone like to have a go at the Battalion?"

The 11th Battalion men often appear with bombs on their collars such as Cpl G Miles, MM seen here in 1917

post-1565-1268866455.jpg

I have seen photos of members of 1/1st Cambridgeshire Regiment TF wearing shoulder titles on the collar - as per the Herts Rgt example in post 3. The pix seem to be of men serving overseas with 1/1st btn during 1915. No instances later in the war, as far as I know.

Cliff

I wonder if Pte Bayliss (post 59) wears collar badges because that particular battalion, 15/King's, was home based !?

Taff

Have you seen this thread?

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=140724

Regards,

W.

Hi Wainfleet,

No I hadn't - but it is exactly what I had in mind! Shame about the lack of original kit (although I not surprised). One of the Khaki Chums owned the PoW jacket mentioned by Paul and still regrets parting with it. I wonder where it is now...

Thanks for that. It's a fascinating subject and no one seems to have covered it in detail.

CHeers,

Taff

• 6 months later...

4/2925 Pte Robin Joseph Wiles, 1/4th Hampshire Regiment. Photograph taken in Quetta.

Great photo, but I do not think it is either Kitchener blues, or SD. It looks more like Blue Patrols.

Glad to see this post back at the top. The man has his cap badge facing the wrong way. (post No.56 Royal Warwickshire Regt)

Curious, and not a reversed picture as his buttons still go the right way, and he appears to use the same wrong-way badge in some shots of him in his Officers gor'blimey cap. Perhaps a right-side collar badge being used as a cap badge, rather than a left-side one which would at least have faced the "correct" way?

• 9 months later...

I think that's likely to be a postwar photo. Looks to have just the one collar pleat.

I think that's likely to be a postwar photo. Looks to have just the one collar pleat.

I think it's two Ted - on the chaps right shoulder you can even (just) see the two lines in the gap between the rifle patch and the top of the pocket where it continues down.

• 3 weeks later...

E Surrey

Essex

NF

Herts

Cheshire

Kings Liverpool

Buffs

DLI

RF

Inn. F

Welsh

KOYLI

MG Guards

Leicester

Ox and Bucks

Y&L

W Yks

Yorks

9th Suffolk

and, of course, Pioneer battalions of almost all regiments.

I think you can add the Queens (Royal West Surrey) to that list, Grumpy - I noticed that this photo (full version in the postcard thread) includes them.

post-49061-0-22987100-1313324426.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Territorial battalion Essex Regiment. Cannot make out the number.

I think that's a postwar image.

That's probably true of the regular army, but some TA units carried on wearing their wartime patches for quite some time, even after WW2 in some cases.

"...some TA units carried on wearing their wartime patches for quite some time"

I was talking to Ian Hook at the Essex Regiment Museum about this just before Christmas.

He said that the Essex TF continued to wear their Great War 54 Div cloth insignia post war.

Nice to see an example of the patches being worn post war.

Cheers,

Taff

• 4 months later...

8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars. Two pleats under collar.

post-11424-0-01544500-1369767694_thumb.j

41478 Sgt Carmichael 18 HLI(Glasgow Yeomanry). Two pleats under collar.

5th Kings Liverpool an unusual collar badge!

post-11424-0-68386600-1369767849_thumb.j

post-11424-0-53661700-1369767941_thumb.j

Royal Munster Fusiliers. Possibly Army of occupation

post-11424-0-70124800-1369768362_thumb.j