Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Collar badges on SD jacket collars.

tocemma

A known but unusual collar badge. Leicesters with black felt square on the left side of the collar only. I believe the sleeve patch was yellow? but not certain on that. Unique I think. Battalion anyone? I love his mates 'trouble at mill' cap and Gor Blimey tie.

7th Battalion - the square is red, the 6th Battalion had the black square but a yellow circle. The different collar patches were worn when part of 37th Division by the whole of the 110th Brigade (6th Black, 7th Red, 8th Green, 9th Yellow) shortly after it was formed in April 1915, then when they joined the 21st Division after 1st July 1916 the yellow patches came in. The different yellow shapes for each battalion (6th Circle, 7th Bar, 8th Square and 9th Triangle) were worn one on each shoulder sleeve, one on the centre back, and usually a fourth on helmet hessian covering. Seeing soldiers retaining the collar patch is common in photos of these battalions

John

Superb photos, demonstrating that the absence of something in published material does not mean the absence of it in reality. Given that there were comparatively few photographers on the Western Front, we only have a very limited picture of what was worn and used there, and photos such as these are an extremely valuable adjunct.

Also, that is a really nice Kitchener blue pic.

Regards,

W.

To return to this: if asked, I would have said that I know of collar badges before the general introduction post-war on only a few units: RF, MGC late war, and 'perhaps a few others'.

Clearly not my subject!

Another KOYLI group

Several wear the stringed bugle as a collar but without the YORKSHIRE part of the title whilst one man wears the French horn collars in a pair and its hard to tell if they are white metal or not

Also a couple of close ups

Candidate for a 'Classic' thread surely?

Excellent thread.

Interesting to see the RF men with plain grenades and not ones with the rose in the centre.

Also has the KOYLI man in post No.4 got his bugles facing the wrong way?

Bit more predictable.... Cardiff Pals

Thanks for the great photos. Incidentally, the collar badge was worn by the Cardiff City Battalion (16th Welsh). The Cardiff Pals were the 11th Welsh.

Gwyn

Another KOYLI group

These Kitchener KOYLIs certainly like having their pictures taken. Herewith another one. No collar badges this time, but what's interesting is their sporting a '9th KOYLI' brassard.

9thKOYLI.jpg

9thKOYLIBrassard.jpg

Best wishes,

GT.

Hi,

No the mouth piece of the bugle goes towards the mouth of the soldier appears correct to me.

John

The left (as viewed) collar looks bigger/higher/thicker closer to his ear to my eyes.

Sorry no photo but was flicking through Lynne McDonalds book.."To The Last Man" about March Offensive and there is a nice studio image of a R Warks in a service tunic chap with antelope collars. States may have been taken when in a Training Reserve?

Regards

TT

Grovetown

thanks for the reply I feel sure that they would have, to distinguish between the two battalions.

What is needed is a few more turning up with the photographers number on.

thanks again

John

• 4 weeks later...