The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Naval Identity Discs

Johnny S

I know that the US Navy had different dog-tags than the Army, and have seen numerous examples of both, but can anyone tell me if this was the same case for the British Navy?

Or were they issued with the aluminium ones , then the fibre ones as was found in the Army? Then again, were they even issued with them?

Thanks,

John.

I know that the US Navy had different dog-tags than the Army, and have seen numerous examples of both, but can anyone tell me if this was the same case for the British Navy?

Or were they issued with the aluminium ones , then the fibre ones as was found in the Army? Then again, were they even issued with them?

Thanks,

John.

They had Aluminium Tags as the Army{I have one to an LS},then presumably the Fibre Ones

Thanks,

John.

They had Aluminium Tags as the Army{I have one to an LS},then presumably the Fibre Ones

I have a single red fibre disc to a Royal Navy Petty Officer whose submarine was sunk.

IIRC the disc I have is to a lower rank than that he held when killed, so I assume that he had sent it home earlier.

John.

As has been mentioned, the Navy was issued with the same tags as the army. The only difference being that the Naval tags didn't tend to have a "unit" mentioned on them and generally had the rank mentioned (whereas not all Army ones did).

Here's an example of an aluminium naval tag to an Engine Room Artificer....

Dave.

post-24-1084531978.jpg

I don't know whether sailors wore unofficial dog tags in as many numbers as soldiers, but I was told that my G-Grandfather wore a gold i.d. bracelet/tag in place of the standard issue, and that it was of such good quality that it remains in the family (location unknown to me) to this day as a piece of jewellery.

Cheers

Richard