here is the LG for Frank Wlliam Wells

http://www.london-ga...upplements/1609

Ths is the OR's Gold or 1st Class.

http://www.emedals.c...g.asp?item=S342

This is the Officers 4th Class

http://www.emedals.c...g.asp?item=S344

Peter

Fantastic Peter.

Many thanks for the LG. I spent a good while searching but obviously not the Supps - why? 'Cos I didn't know they existed

His group was hijacked by his WW2 unit so must check the gong next time I'm in Cape Town.

Cheers and many thanks again.

I have received information that his records are contained in the "burnt copies" held in the record offices, and that these records are contained in boxes without any without any senblence of order.

John

They have been published. If you can't find them on Ancestry, chances are they were destroyed. Antony

Thanks very much Peter

The medal group was hijacked by his WW2 unit and now resides in their museum. Will be looking them up next time I'm in Cape Town.

Cheers

• 6 years later...

Hi all,

I have been looking for a site like this!  I am the great, great nephew of Jack Nicholls 32746 Machine Gun Core. I was fortunate to know Jack. I remember him being frail and I was scared of him. Mainly as I was young and he had a sound box (early hearing aid).  Jack spent a lot of his time with my Grand parents and I think was the older (or younger) brother to my Great Grandmother. I was very fortunate not only knowing Jack, but his two sisters (Aunt Kate) and Great Grandmother (Edith) and her husband my Great Grandfather Don. Jack died when I was five so I never got to speak with him about his experiences, my Dad knew he won a decent medal for blowing up a machine gun post in France! 

Due to being the oldest offspring of the oldest offspring gave me great opportunity to speak with a number WW1 and WW2 family and friend veterans over the years but I have struggled to know what Jack did to win his medals.  I have read a good book from the library called ‘Under the Devil’s Eye’, which is a great account of the Salonika Campaign. There is no reference but from my understanding as Jack was one of two Lewis Gun operators he won he medals for supporting the withdrawal of attack on 8th May 1917 at the battle of Dorian. It mentions in the book about how a lone machine gunner gave covering fire whilst the rememants of attack withdrew. The losses were huge that day some c550 British casualties with minimal Bulgarian losses. From what I know of Jack, sadly he has no surviving family. He wife and Son died before I was born. Interestingly he was mentioned a few times in London Gazette winning his medals. At different ranks. He does seem to be busted down a few times and this does not surprise me as my Dad knew him as full of fun, when he was growing up. I enclose the pictures of the medals. Order of the Star of KaraÄ‘orÄ‘e with Swords (Gold) (front and back) and Miltary Medal.  The picture I believe he was in the middle as he was acting corporal when he won the medal in 1917 so would of been Lance Corporal (1 stripe) and his dispatches.  Crazy thing is if he did not bring his gun back he could of been punished!

Anyone else have similar stories, I would be interested to hear.

E1226222-AAFB-4D07-9E33-3BF4AB316EA8.jpeg

A32DDC61-25AB-4AD2-979C-5E2C9109BD19.jpeg

DEAD1C44-B5C8-47D0-A33B-21C055B766E7.jpeg

85FC6441-0DCB-416D-B69B-C0768DF3E8C4.jpeg

2945A9E9-F790-4329-B3E9-0C97654A2DC7.jpeg

Hi

Great set of photos, thanks for posting. As my previous posts state this is a very rare award to a British soldier. The citation for his MM is also very rare.

I have added a bit more info to my database about him, thanks.

Peter

• 2 years later...

This is wonderful! My GG-Grandfather was Capt. Leonard Starling Daynes of the Royal Engineer Corps, also stationed on the Salonika front. In fact, he was awarded the gold cross of Karageorge 1st class alongside Corporal Nicholls 32746! (https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30498/supplement/1376/data.pdf).

I haven't been able to find any records as to why the GC was awarded, though I did find a record of his DCM citation (received on the Salonika front as well) which was in the gazette 26 July, 1917:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He was in charge of a party constructing a post. He continued to work on hte night of the assault, and for three successive nights, leading his party through heavy shell fire on each occasion, and successfully completing his task."

Unfortunately I don't even have the medal, as my great-grandfather's 3rd wife took them and gave them to her children (with no relation to him). Any ideas for hunting down a citation?

• 2 years later...
On 18/01/2010 at 20:04, SGTJOHN said:

I have the original citation & medal that was awarded to my father. But, I have no information about how or why he received it.

As it says in the circlet on the obverse "3а Xраброст" (For Bravery).  During the Great War the Allies exchanged many medals to be awarded to worthy recipients of other nations. These medals were usually awarded to deserving recipients for actions/service which may not have been sufficient to meet the requirements of a British award.  I suspect his runaway horse story masks a different tale.   Have you tried local newspaper reports?