Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

palicus

11th Suffolks, 34th Division

palicus

I now have copies of the diary for 11th Battalion Suffolk Regiment, 34th Division from January 1916 to May 1918.

Please pm for look-up requests.

regards,

Al.

Britace

Hi Palicus,

my Great Grandfather served with 1th Suffolk’s, and was listed as wounded on 23rd June 1916. Can you please help me with where the Battalion were engaged on and around that date? I suppose it’s more likely he was wounded prior to that date, and the event was reported later?

Many thanks

Phil

clk

Hi Phl,

Welcome to the Forum.

The Battalion war diary (which is pretty scant on detail) is here at the National Archives, and here on Ancestry. For more context, it might be worth looking at the Brigade HQ diary, which is here at the National Archives, and here on Ancestry. There is help on reading map references here.

1 hour ago, Britace said:

… listed as wounded on 23rd June 1916 … I suppose it’s more likely he was wounded prior to that date, and the event was reported later?

I think that would depend on the source of your information.

I wonder if it might be worth posting all the details that you already know about your Great Grandfather - including his DoB/place of birth, parents, etc, but especially his name and service number (possibly in a new thread?). That might help Forum Pals dig out some more info for you.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

George Rayner

Time available....if you can post details Phil

George