Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Ace

Conor Dodd

I have some information on this ace that I got of a few websites but can anyone tell me where he is buried or where and when he shot down planes (his claims list) any other information as well would be brilliant.

Conor :D

Hans Berr's list is as follows (all 1916) :

8th March - a Nieuport- at Verdun

14th March-a Caudron- NW Verdun

7th Oct. - A Caudron - Combles

7th Oct- a BE12 -Combles

20th Oct. -an FE2b - SE Le Transloy

22nd Oct - Morane Parasol - Sailley

26th Oct. - FE2b - Le Transloy

26th October -a balloon -S. Maurepas

1st Nov. -Caudron - SE. Courcelette

3rd Nov. BE2c - NW.Martinpuich

He was born on 20th May 1890 at Braunschweig.He joined the army and by 1908 was a Lieutenant in the 4th Magdeburg Resrve Regiment of Light Infantry.He was with the 7th Reserve Light infantry regiment in 1914 when he was wounded (6th Sept.).Promoted Oberlieutnant in Jan.1915, he joined the air service as an observer and later took pilot training.After shooting down his first 2 French planes in his "Eindekker",he was given command of Jasta 5 on the Somme front. He was killed on 6th April 1917 after colliding with Vzfw Paul Hoppe of his Jasta.Hoppe also died.

Dave.

Dave,

what's a German Light Infantry Regiment? Do you mean Jäger-Bataillon?

Jan

what's a German Light Infantry Regiment? Do you mean Jäger-Bataillon?

It is indeed a Jager regiment, Jan.

I was just trying to Anglicise the term ("hunter" regiment may not mean anything to some people).

Dave.

Dave,

I would never translate a regimental designation/rank from another language. This can lead to misunderstandings. If I were to write a book in German I would call let's say the Royal Field Artillery 'Die Königliche Feldartillerie' or the Royal Engineers 'Die Königliche Pioniere' so don't do it from the other side either. Besides, Jäger-Regimente were only formed from 1915 on, so in fact you mean (Reserve-)Jäger-Bataillon.

The German Army is very difficult to understand and this isn't easier if you translate the differnet terms. (I've seen somewhere a map about the fighting around Mons from an English book and was appaled by the German unit designations, which were - even if you translated them back - were completely wrong)

I hope you don't mind my digression about German unit designations which wasn't meant personally...

Regards,

Jan

Well. A slap on the wrist for me then!

:D