Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Guns...

Chris Boonzaier

was playing with my babies today and took some photos.... Would like to point out, they are all legally altered/neutralised....

For your pleasure (I hope) and mine (I know...)....

post-748-1263550471.jpg

post-748-1263550504.jpg

post-748-1263550580.jpg

post-748-1263550621.jpg

post-748-1263550656.jpg

post-748-1263550680.jpg

post-748-1263550706.jpg

Wow!

That is unfortunately NOT what my wife says..... :-(

Most wives just do not understand.

They (the MG's ) are wounderful, a credit to you. Have you restored them or is that how you got them.

Peter

Most wives just do not understand.

They (the MG's ) are wounderful, a credit to you. Have you restored them or is that how you got them.

Peter

Hi,

the Maxims did not have a lick of paint on them, so its a restoration. Some purists would not have done anything, but there is nothing done that cannot be reversed.

I stuck with Feldgrau as I wanted it to be a colour that they would have been, as opposed to a fantasy camo job.

Best

Chris

Chris

They look pretty good to me. Paint can easily be stripped off if ncessary so it is not a problem. I would have done the same as you.

Have you thought of distressing the paintwork around the dents? Not to deceive anyone, only to look more the part for your own satisfaction.

W.

I stuck with Feldgrau as I wanted it to be a colour that they would have been, as opposed to a fantasy camo job.

It wasn't always entirely fantasy to camoflage them - if you ever go to the Gloucester Regimental Museum, take a look at the inside of the MG08 sledmount they have on display in the shop window with the Maxim in place, that the regiment captured during the Great War. Where prying hands and 90 years of wear and tear haven't got to it, it still has very clear traces of the standard three tone block camoflage seperated with black lines as used later in the war.

It wasn't always entirely fantasy to camoflage them - if you ever go to the Gloucester Regimental Museum, take a look at the inside of the MG08 sledmount they have on display in the shop window with the Maxim in place, that the regiment captured during the Great War. Where prying hands and 90 years of wear and tear haven't got to it, it still has very clear traces of the standard three tone block camoflage seperated with black lines as used later in the war.

Hi,

agreed, but when you do it Feldgrau, you know it is "right"... and this gun was probably factory freldgrau color at some stage in its life.

I would looooove to have one with the original camo, done by a soldier during the war. But if I were to go at it with different pots of paint, it would be "my creation"...

One is factory issue, the other fantasy art of the gunner... done that way today I always think it is not quite right....

Its kinda like Michael Jacksons sequined glove... If I was to see the original I would think "WoW!" simply because it is part of pop history.... If I was to see my buddy Jimmy with a homemade sequined glove I would think... "what a ******!"... Either you have the origianl... or not. If you dont, just stick to the plain one, you cant go wrong... ;-)

P.S. dont want to insult anyone who may have cammod up their 08s... personal choice. As long as you are not wearing homemade sequined gloves, you are OK by me.....

Chris,

What are the markings on the top cover on the reciever on the 08/15?

My MG 08/15 had much original paint left on the water jacket. It is field grey but greener than your reproduction. I suspect it maybe a 1930s paint finish?

TT

Also is the cloth belt real...if so you did well to get the rounds in. My 250 round belt must have shrunk as I cannot get a round in with out the risk of tearing the canvas.

TT

Hi,

the 08/15 is MAN Nürnberg 1917.

Both Maxims are Canadian trophy pieces.

The belt is original, was in unused condition. had a tiny bit of shrinkage, but with hours or TLC is became supple again.

Best

Chris

Thanks...mine is a DWM 1918. What tlc did you use on the belt?

TT

I know how you feel. I get grief from my Partner although she doesn't have to live with them as our house only has books and small bits I'm working on. All the 'smelly stuff' is kept elsewhere.

They just don't understand!

That's a nice collection there.

Richard

Thanks very much for the photos. Do MGs require a shotgun licence?

No, they are neutralised... you have to lay behind them and say "Bang! Bang! Bang!" as fast as you can..... ;-)

Would be an interesting exercise to modify into shotguns though.

Fantastic collection, thats what dreams are made of.

... you have to lay behind them and say "Bang! Bang! Bang!" as fast as you can..... ;-)
And then say 'Kamerad' at the very last minute and hope for the best ;)

Robert

PS: Perhaps it is becoming clearer what Mrs Boonzaier is reacting to :D

PS: Perhaps it is becoming clearer what Mrs Boonzaier is reacting to :D

Indeed... unfortunately there is nothing that gets her more riled up than me laying there saying "bang bang?" :unsure:

No, they are neutralised... you have to lay behind them and say "Bang! Bang! Bang!" as fast as you can..... ;-)

I prefer the ones wot still goes bang meself... :devilgrin:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aV1ufT4J

1ufT4J.jpg

Thanks. A later vintige MG came up in a general auction sale this week and I was sorely tempted, but wasn't sure what paperwork I needed. The auction house weren't too clear either.

Thanks. A later vintige MG came up in a general auction sale this week and I was sorely tempted, but wasn't sure what paperwork I needed. The auction house weren't too clear either.

Was it deactivated? If it was being sold in a general auction it should have been, in which case (aside from the deactivation certificate, which helps but isn't strictly necessary) anyone can own it, and no other paperwork or licensing is required (at present, the Government don't like the idea of the huge number of totally unregistered but inert and legal to own firearms in the UK).

Neutralized, eh? You poor man. My main interest is in flamethrowers, and here in the U.S. flamethrowers are entirely unregulated. It's totally legal to have a working flamethrower if you can find one.

Beats pointing the weapon and shouting, "Whoosh!"