Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers on Irish 1911 Census

mhifle

Good luck finding him.

Not sure whether to thank you or not ;) It explains why I could not find these guys if they were not at home, nor overseas military.

Sheesh, the Connaught rangers certainly did not make it easy to trace men - not even a service number!

Take me a while, but I should be able to see one way or another if someone is there or not.

Actually its not as bad as you might think.

You just use the search form with

"Kildare, Kildare, Curragh Military Camp "in the appropriate boxes and whatever initials you are looking for in Surname and Christian name and Dev's your uncle, up come the answers>

• 1 year later...

Just found the forum so, Hi.

I'm intrigued by an entry posted by Brig-Gen.

Homer Richard 34 Male Son in Law Roman Catholic England Soldier Sgt Conn Rangers Read and write - Married 4 James's Street (Tipperary West Urban, Tipperary)

Would this be identical with Richard Benjamin Homer born Birmingham 1875, and who joined the Connaught Rangers in 1895 and was discharged in 1917 as a Colour Sergeant? Regimental Number 5178.

If so, I'd be interested in any Service history that may be available along with, as it seems that he was married, details relating to his spouse. I have a full Ancestry account and a 1911 FMP account but can't seem to confirm the details posted.

Thanks.

Ken.

Hi,

I will see what I can find out.

Here are the rest of the people on the 1911 Census with him if it helps.

Regards Mark

4 James's Street (Tipperary West Urban, Tipperary)

Moloney Martin 55 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Tipperary Gardner Read and write - Married - 28 10 7

Moloney Mary 51 Female Wife Roman Catholic Tipperary - Read and write - Married - 28 10 7

Moloney Patrick 27 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipp Bank Porter Read and write Irish and English Single - - - -

Moloney Martin 20 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipp Port Man Read and write Irish and English Single - - - -

Moloney Julia 16 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Tipp Floor Maker Read and write Irish and English Single - - - -

Moloney Willie 14 Male Son Roman Catholic Tipp Scholar Read and write Irish and English Single - - - -

Homer Richard 34 Male Son in Law Roman Catholic England Old is Age Conn Rangers Read and write - Married - - -

Homer Annie 23 Female Daughter in Law Roman Catholic England - Read and write - Married -

Hi,

This is 5178 Sergeant Richard Benjamin Homer, who was with the 3rd Battalion The Connaught Rangers in 1911.

Married Annie Maloney 18 Sept 1910.

Regards Mark

Homer Richard 34 Male Son in Law Roman Catholic England Old is Age Conn Rangers Read and write - Married

For "Old is Age" read "Soldier Sergt.". The writer does his Ss like dollar signs ($), and someone somewhere has interpreted them as being crossed out!

Adrian

His MIC is of the SWB variety -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=3104720&queryType=1&resultcount=2

Medal card of Homer, Richard Benjamin

Corps Regiment No Rank

Connaught Rangers 5178 Company Serjeant Major

It records all his SWB details except the badge number, which was 196117. His medal entitlement was a pair so he entered theatre of war after 31/12/1915. Theatre is not given on the card.

He has pension records available on Ancestry -

Name: Richard Benjamin Homer

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876

Age at enlistment: 19

Birth Parish: Birmingham

Birth County: Warwickshire

Document Year: 1895

Regimental Number: 5178

Regiment Name: Connaught Rangers

Number of images: 15

John

For "Old is Age" read "Soldier Sergt.". The writer does his Ss like dollar signs ($), and someone somewhere has interpreted them as being crossed out!

Adrian

Thanks. I'd since found it and entered a Correction. John and Mark, equally thanks. I found the Quarter for the Marriage but not the date. Appreciated.

There's still a bit more to peruse but, in the interim,

Regards,

Ken.

• 7 years later...

Beare John 49 Male Head of Family Church of Ireland Dublin City Lientenant Colorel Late 5th Batt The Connaught Rangers Retired Read and write - Married – 7. 14 Conyngham Road (Arran Quay, Dublin)

A lot of years have passed as I access this thread.    I am wondering if I can find out anything about my friend's grandfather.   He retired from the 5 Connaught Rangers years earlier, and they have not been able to find out whether he played any part in WW1, given he would have been 53 years old in 1915.

Any advice gratefully received!

cheers

Shirley

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Shirley,

The 5th Battalion was a service Bn. formed in 1914 and reconstituted 2nd Bn. in 1918. There were two regular battalions and two reserve and 5th didn't exist before 1914. I did a quick search of the Official history by Jourdain which has brief biographies of every officer and  no sign of a Beare. The 1st Bn. Connaught Rangers were 5th Infantry Brigade during the Boer war, which also consisted of 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers, 1st Inniskilling Fusiliers and 1st Border Regiment. I wonder if there was a mix up on the census?

John

Edited by archangel9

I am no expert in Connaught Rangers, but there was apparently a 5th Battalion around 1900 - presumably for Boer War (another subject in which I am deeply ignorant)

beare2.jpg.709464d22fce188e0f91615512138308.jpg

There is also a grave for his son 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/81623344/cecil-wyndham-beare

which says

Eldest son of Lieut.-Col. John Fenton Cecil Beare, Colonel of 5th Battalion of The Connaught Rangers, retired, and his wife Constance Alice Fitzgerald who were married in Dublin in 1903

I cannot judge whether Beare ever commanded 5th Connaughts or got the title as a  retirement . bonus

This incarnation of 5th Connaught Rangers can be found in London Gazette as early as May 1882 and were active through till at least 1907

• 3 weeks later...

Correct Corisande, my mistake. They were better known as the Roscommon Militia. At some stage they became the 4th (Extra reserve) Bn. based in Boyle, County Roscommon. The official history doesn't have bio's of any militia officers but does have all officers from regular, service and reserve battalions. As Beare isn't included I suspect he didn't serve during the Great War.

John

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you can help but I have been trying to find a link between 4509 Patrick McGuinn 4th Btn Connaught Rangers KIA 8/11/14 and a relative of mine from the same area who deserted from The Royal Dublin Fusiliers,  11826 Martin McGuinn  3rd Btn RDF. I have a feeling they are either brothers or cousins but can't confirm via ancestry.co.uk. Downloaded records for each but can't find the missing link,if there is one.