Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Llangefni War Memorial

perce620

Do we have any pals live on Anglesey who go to Llangefni, Need to know how many Edwards there are on the memorial and their initial/s as I'm trying to find out more about the 1914 letter I showed on the site.

I'm from Holyhead myself but posted in Cornwall so dont get home often and my Dad never stays still long enough to ask. Thanks for the offer

Doh! I was there on Saturday!! :ph34r:

The Mother-in-Law 'does' the market every Thursday and the memorial is just around the corner. I'll ask her to check for you later in the week.

fantstic thanks very much :D

Errrr......M-in-L forgot!!

Anyway, I will be over that way at some point in the next few weeks (probably to visit said M-In-L) so I'll check it personally. Would you like some digital photo's e-mailed?

Not to worry, photos of the edwards would be fantastic cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Right - I'm going on Saturday. Must remember the camera.............. :blink:

:D Thanks Andrew for the piccies-the name i am after apperars to be F>G De Burgh Edwards who was killed as a LT in the Royal Artillery, although CWGC says that his family where from Hampshire-does anyone know of the plaque /medals to this man?

Cheers

Perce

• 4 weeks later...

Guys

Thanks for your help with these pictures . If either of you want a transcript of the letter your most welcome

Cheers

Perce :D

• 1 year later...

Hello there: I'm a brand new member, whose main research interest is in Anglesey WW1 casualties. I have come across Frank Glencairn De Burgh Edwards before. You may know his details anyway, but what I have listed is that he was educated at St.John's College, Leatherhead, Surrey.

He formerly served as a 2nd Lieutanant with the Royal Anglesey Royal Engineers (Militia) and the Cardigan Ryl. Garrison Artillery (Militia) before taking a Regular Army commission in 1907. Served with 43 (Howitzer) Battery RFA. Became a full Lieutenant 1910. Transferred to Ryl. Horse Artillery June 1914 and went to France in August of that year with "I" Battery RHA. He was apparently present during Mons, the Retreat from Mons, the Marne and the Aisne 1914.

He was killed in action "by shellfire" on 12 October 1914, at either Vieux Berquin or "near Hazebrouck", aged 29 or 30. Buried at Vieux Berquin. Next of kin living at The Rectory, Llangefni. My source for his service record is the newspaper The Holyhead Chronicle 16 Oct 1914, p6; and especially an account of a memorial service for him in the same paper on 30 Oct 1914, p6. There may well be a memorial of some sort to him in the Parish Church also.

He is mentioned on the War Memorial in the town, as you know; he is also mentioned by name on the Llangefni section of the North Wales Heroes' Memorial Arch in Bangor, Gwynedd. This is a castle-like gateway/arch at the foot of the slope leading up to the University in Bangor. Built in the 1920s the upper room (to be viewed by appointment only, I think) is lined with wooden panels bearing the surnames/initials of the fallen from all six North Wales counties, arranged by county/parish/alphabetical order.

Hope this helps - sorry I don't know about the medals. If you can add to any of this, please let me know.

• 9 years later...

Hello there - 9 years and 2 months on!

I, too, am a new member, having joined today, and my principal reason for doing so was to see if I could find any further information about Frank Glencairn deBurgh Edwards !!!!!

I have been researching (too grand a word) the extended family since 1974, when I purchased a small batch of family letters in London, the first of which (by date) was written by Frank to his mother. A further large batch followed in 2004, and in the past few weeks I have acquired another 18 or so. We (my wife and I) now have in the order of 500 letters, covering the period from 1875 to 1933 and reflecting, amongst other things, the changes in social attitudes during that time.

As far as Frank himself is concerned I have photographs of the memorials to him In Llangefni (the War Memorial and St.Grwst's church) and Bangor (the Memorial Arch and the Cathedral, and would be happy to share these if anyone is interested.

A small plug - I have been giving illustrated talks, using a video projector, around N.W.Wales for the past eight years, and one of the most popular ones is entitled "The Vicar, the Prince and the See" (sic) about Frank Edwards' immediate family ...........

Peter

Welcome Peter,

As you can see, I'm still with the Forum and I hope you enjoy it! Lots of very knowledgeable people here.

I'll have a look in my notes on Edwards tomorrow to see if there's any more I can add. I have a feeling there is a family grave in Caernarfon which mentions him?? I have a picture of him, but small and not all that good - possibly from De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour or similar? I haven't managed to get into Llangefni parish church to see the memorial there.

Once you have made a few posts I think we can communicate directly via the Private Message system. I have been researching the Anglesey WW1 casualties off and on since 1973, and come from Bangor originally.

Clive

Peter,

Excuse me if you know some or all of this already. There is a group of 6 related De Burgh / De Burgh Edwards / De Burgh Thomas family graves at Llanbeblig (St.Peblig) Churchyard, Caernarfon. One flat slate memorial, which was originally the gravestone of Walter Hussey De Burgh (d.1862) also has Frank G. De Burgh Edwards (and 2 others) mentioned, and is the location where both his parents were buried.

He was educated at St.John's College, Leatherhead, Surrey and someone from there contacted me in 2011: I sent them some information but I'm not sure what they might have there in the way of memorials/rolls of honour / photos.

He is given an entry in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour which can be accessed via Ancestry and FindMyPast. Another entry in The Bond of Sacrifice Vol.1 includes a picture.

The war diary of "I" Battery RHA has a reasonable account of the events of the day he died, but doesn't mention him by name.

I would like to see an image of the plaque in Llangefni Church. Can you see if it's possible to communicate with me using the PM (Personal Message) system on the Forum?

Clive

• 3 years later...

The Llangefni County School WWI War Memorial - full set of pictures on FLICKR

Llangefni County School WWI War Memorial

SH 45521 75823

01-JMB_01_05_2019_13_05_47_0002645503.JPG.6ae8e62d2000f8dce05efb9d73ad9ce5.JPG03-JMB_01_05_2019_13_07_25_0002645303.JPG.39b584d5cfd2c5f304dc72d38f29a061.JPG06-JMB_01_05_2019_13_08_03_0002645103.JPG.fdf8413c43edc290dce01c52f42adf1e.JPG10-JMB_01_05_2019_13_08_31_0002644703.JPG.b816fb3024a63634a42bc9a427b41577.JPG