Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Amazing finds

stephen p nunn

I wonder what archaeolgoical digs have taken place in the past ...

Nicholas Saunders' paper, 'Excavating Memories...', was published in Antiquity in 2002. It touches on previous digs before moving on to specifically Great War archaeology. I'm happy to send a scan.

Gwyn

Once foudn a bayonet in the fields near to Balliescourt Farm. Was once at cemetery at Pozieres, and a farmer gave my father a 18 pounder fuze. A long time ago, was on the line of the old German frontline near to Ovillers - found the sole of a hob nailed boot.

Nicholas Saunders' paper, 'Excavating Memories...', was published in Antiquity in 2002. It touches on previous digs before moving on to specifically Great War archaeology. I'm happy to send a scan.

Gwyn

PM sent

Some of you may recall that about three / four years ago the village of Poziere built a small parking layby opposite the site of the village cemetery. This item came from the spoil that was dug out of the bank to allow construction. Its about being in the right place at the right time!

Regards

TT

post-15846-1263732724.jpg

Some of you may recall that about three / four years ago the village of Poziere built a small parking layby opposite the site of the village cemetery. This item came from the spoil that was dug out of the bank to allow construction. Its about being in the right place at the right time!

Regards

TT

Lucky ?!*

What a fantastic find - you must have felt over the moon!

Thanks for the post.

SPN

Maldon

Domonique at Tommies Bar has a cracking photo. It was taken ten plus years ago. Near Guedecourt by the Caribou they were digging a trench. I think it was for a gas pipe. I recall the excavations myself. Stuck in the spoil were 10 plus smellies with bayonets. The workmen had no interest and it took a day or so for them to be scavenged.......maybe Dom had the lot.

He also tells a tale of when they dug the Albert by pass just past Bapaume Post Cemetery. In the spoil there were many brass cartridge cases from field guns and..........and I cannot vouch for this...an MG 08. Dom states he had that!!

Anyone know how things are with him...his web site is no longer running.

TT

Just outside Thistle Dump Cemetery a few years ago,a Friend of mine who has not the slightest interest in the Great War was walking with me when She picked up a Ring,the Stone was cleaned and later found to be a Ruby,and the Ring itself was hallmarked as having been made in Germany.Maybe an Officers Ring ?.

Domonique at Tommies Bar has a cracking photo. It was taken ten plus years ago. Near Guedecourt by the Caribou they were digging a trench. I think it was for a gas pipe. I recall the excavations myself. Stuck in the spoil were 10 plus smellies with bayonets. The workmen had no interest and it took a day or so for them to be scavenged.......maybe Dom had the lot.

He also tells a tale of when they dug the Albert by pass just past Bapaume Post Cemetery. In the spoil there were many brass cartridge cases from field guns and..........and I cannot vouch for this...an MG 08. Dom states he had that!!

Anyone know how things are with him...his web site is no longer running.

TT

NO COMMENT MATE !!!.

he was fine in October, but not seen him since then....

matt

back on topic....pocket watch and german buttons near high wood 2 pocket watches near thiepval2 boots and brass shell case and a couple of entrenching tools at pozierers, german leather pouches, british leather 1914 pattern belt ect. spoon with bullet hole through bowel, and as for tobruk glass mines, 37 patterb webbing, hotchkiss ammo belts, small arms cartidges by the ton....

matt

Indeed Matt...love to see photos.

TT

Found a German sniper plate last year at Fricourt (bang on front line). I suppose my most prized is a half pence coin found at Beaumont Hamel about 10 years ago. The farmer had dug a trench across the field from Jacob's Ladder to Sunken Lane. The coin was in the trench and also found an intact green beer bottle. My mate found a Royal Irish Rifles capbadge.

Like somebody said-right place at the right time...

2004 , after the rain had churned the dust to mud and then dried out,

I found what appears to be a button off and issue flannel shirt and an

Australian 1911 halfpenny in the forward trench at the Nek.

Peter

Found a German sniper plate last year at Fricourt (bang on front line). I suppose my most prized is a half pence coin found at Beaumont Hamel about 10 years ago. The farmer had dug a trench across the field from Jacob's Ladder to Sunken Lane. The coin was in the trench and also found an intact green beer bottle. My mate found a Royal Irish Rifles capbadge.

Like somebody said-right place at the right time...

Was it you who found the biscuit tins at BH, looked like new until the air got to them? I managed to salvage and partially preserve a tobacco tin from same place and an oiler which is in perfect condition, it opened with no effort and still smells of oil. We got a few bottles from the area including a nice Gartons with class stopper insitu. It was a ditch with much potential but it didn't last!

Mick

Hi,

walking regulary the fields in the Ypres Salient and Nieuwpoort, I never did an amazing find, only live artillery shells.

I remember finding a British army button at St.Elooi, together with German, British and French cartridges, and part of a German rifle, some of the wood still attached. Road works were in progress then.

But the farmers I talk to sometimes unearth items.

I saw at least 3 German sniper shields used by the farmers to close of a sewer pipe.

They don't know it is in fact a snipers shield

Cnock

Many years ago I visited a farmer near Wijtschaete who had dug up a German field kitchen.

The 90+ year old man had also just found what he said was a gas shell. A glass tube was visible where the head used to be.

His right hand shaking irresistably he pointed at the tube: "when you press this it will go off!" :doh:

Roel

with the house moove....goodness knows where they are, when they turn up, i'll post the pics1

matt

Was it you who found the biscuit tins at BH, looked like new until the air got to them? I managed to salvage and partially preserve a tobacco tin from same place and an oiler which is in perfect condition, it opened with no effort and still smells of oil. We got a few bottles from the area including a nice Gartons with class stopper insitu. It was a ditch with much potential but it didn't last!

Mick

Sounds like it-one was a toffee tin with a near-perfect transfer. As soon as the air got to it, the thing dissapeared

Found by my Mother on the ege of Trones wood during her first trip to the Somme,this is where her Grandfather fought with the 2nd Bedfordshire's.

Fabulous find!!

Only ever found one thing, a Hampshire Regiment cap badge.

Found a bayonet frog just at side of western side of High wood just laying in undergrowth. Still searching for that elusive cap badge or shoulder title though..lol

Wayne

Another couple of interesting 'pick ups' that I have found are two gas mask eye pieces with the glass intact plus remaining metal outers also a shell fuse protector but it looked like it had only been there a couple of days - no rust whatsoever and paint absolutely perfect (Black with an orange band on the tang). It is amazing how somethings last and others do not. Protector from a field near Mametz.