Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yardley Cemetery Birmingham

kevan darby

I have come across details of quite a few servicemen who are buried in Yardley Cemetery, Birmingham.

here is the first.

Trooper Hohn Pratt, of the Hussars who died in Reading Hospital from injures recieved in a cavarly charge during the recent big advance, has been buried at Yardley with full military honours.

Prior to joining the Colous Trooper Pratt, who was a Reservist and had seen twenty seven years service worked as a butcher in Birmingham.

i shall post more later.

kevan

post-3604-1263051254.jpg

post-3604-1263051263.jpg

Another from a Birmingham newspaper

The interment with Military Honours has taken place at Yardley Cemetery of Pte John Henry Currall, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, a repatriated prisoner of war. Pte Currah who was an old soldier, was wounded and captured at the begining of the war, and was afterwards sent to Switzerland, and came back to England later.

He was thirty six years of age and the stepson of Mr Causser of 36 Church Road, South Yardley. A brother is a Prisoner of war in Germany, another Cprl W F Currah was killed at Ypres in April 1916.

post-3604-1263052966.jpg

post-3604-1263052990.jpg

Private Sidney Baker, Oxford and Bucks Light Inf, son of Mrs Baker 115 Third Avenue Bordesley Green, died under an anaesthetic at Brondesbury Hospital, London, while having his teeth seen to. He had previously been wounded by shrapnel in the left hand and sent home. He was buried at Yardley Cemetery with military honours. His brother Pte W Baker is serving with the Berkshire Regt.

post-3604-1263056488.jpg

post-3604-1263056498.jpg

A Sparkhill soldier, Pte Charles Leslie Fewtrell, 3/5th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, succumbed to acute bronchitis at Bristol on the 31st, and the funeral which took place at Yardley Cemetery, attactred a large number of people. Fewtrell, who had been training for six months, lived at 6 Laburnun Villas, Poplar Road, Sparkhill. The coffin draped with the Union Jack, was conveyed to the cemetery on a gun carraige. The regimental band was in attendence and played the Dead March and hyms. In absence of the deceaseds comrades, members of the Royal Engineers acted as bearers. The Globe Steam Laundry, Stratford Road, where Fewtrell was previously engaged, was respented by a large number of employees, the works being closed down for the afternoon, and several wreaths were also sent from the firm.

post-3604-1263057777.jpg

post-3604-1263057789.jpg

Another from the Birmingham News.

PATRIOTIC SPRINGFIELD FAMILY

ONE KILLED TWO WOUNDED

Pte Albert Hawkeswood (19) Machine Gunner, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, son of Mr and Mrs Hawkeswood, of 20 Towyn Road, Springfield, near Sparkhill. He joined the army, by overstating his age, when he was only fifteen, and his father who is over and serving with the colours, joined by understating his. Three other brothers are also with the forces, and two have been wounded.

post-3604-1263061911.jpg

SERGEANT L W SHALES OF SMALL HEATH

Considerable interest was around Thursday in Coventry Road and at Yardley Cemetery, when the funeral took place with military honours of Sgt Leonard William Shales 2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regt, who died at at his home at 381 Heather Rod, Small Heath. Deceased served 21 years with the battalion, part of the time being stationed aboard in India, Burma, South Africa. He was drafted to the front in the present war with his regiment at the begining of hostilities, and took part in the great retreat from Mons. The winter campaign, however broke up his usual good health, and he was invalided home in March last a physical wreck, a condition from which he never recovered. He was aged 44 years, and was a single man. His third stripe he gained some ten years ago.

A gun carriage not being available the coffin draped with the Union Jack and surmounted by deceased cap belt and sidearms, was carried in a hearse. Preceding the cortege was was a band provided by the National Reserves. A large number of people witnessed the proceedings at the cemetery, deceased being interred in family grave. The coffin bearers were eight of the deceased comrades of the 2nd Battalion South Staffs. Three volleys were fired over the grave and the last post sounded.

post-3604-1263066736.jpg

Another from the Birmingham Mercury

Private W. J. Warder, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, died of wounds received on 1st July at Netley Hospital on 13th October. His funeral took place with military honours at Yardley Cemetery. His parents live at 12 Greswolde Road, Sparkbrook. Pte A.C. Warder, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, brother is with the colours.

post-3604-1263069219.jpg

Kevan,

Fascinating information. There is a soldier who died at the Somme whose name is commemorated on his parents' gravestone. I've noticed I in the past when I have visited family graves on the south-west side of the Cemetery. There are probably loads more similar inscriptions in the cemetery. I will try and dig out the picture I have of it. Sorry to be so vague!

Here is another two brothers buried together at Yardley Cemetery

SPARKBROOK CORPORAL DEATH, MILITARY FUNERAL AT YARDLEY

The funeral with military honours, took place at Yardley Cemetery on Tuesday of Cpl Lincoln Thompson, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who died suddenly of heart failure following pneumonia at the Priory Hospital, Cheltenham, on the 15th. The deceased who rapidly became an efficent NCO and was very popular was called up under the Derby Scheme in February last. He was 29 years of age, and prior to donning khaki has a hairdressers buisness at 95 Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook.

He was an old pupil of Stratford Road Council Schools and was well known in the district. A large number of people witnessed the departure of the cortege. The coffin almost hidden under the folds of the Union Jack and flowers was conveyed to the cemetery on a gun carriage supplied from Soney Lane Barracks. Anumber of soldiers, including some Royal Warwicks who carried the coffin to its last resting place.

The Birmingham News.

A MILITARY FUNERAL

Sgt Ronald Thompson Royal Garrison Artillery, aged 30 last son of Mrs Thompson, 10 Main Street, Sparkbrook, died of heart failure following infuenza, at Plymouth and was buried with military honours at Yardley cemetery. He was formerly cashier to Messrs, Dale Forty and Co, Birmingham. His brother Cpl Lincoln Thompson Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died in training was also awarded a military Funeral at Yardley.

1. photo Sgt Roland Thompson RGA 2. photo Cpl Lincoln Thompson Royal Warwickshire Rgt

post-3604-1263140257.jpg

post-3604-1263140274.jpg

post-3604-1263140413.jpg

The interment with Military Honours has taken place at Yardley Cemetery of Pte John Henry Currah, Royal Welsh Fusiliers, a repatriated prisoner of war. Pte Currah who was an old soldier, was wounded and captured at the beginning of the war, and was afterwards sent to Switzerland, and came back to England later.

He was thirty six years of age and the stepson of Mr Causser of 36 Church Road, South Yardley. A brother is a Prisoner of war in Germany, another Cprl W F Currah was killed at Ypres in April 1916.

Many thanks for posting this, Kevan - I've visited Pte Currah's grave at Yardley, but never seem a photo of him, and also seen Crpl Currah's name on the Menin Gate

I must say I have wondered whether there is any possibility of my being related to Pte and Cprl Currah - with there being such a small difference in our surnames

Alan

do you have photos of these men by chance

HUTT, Private, Herbert Henry. 5375, Worcestershire Regiment. Died, home, 28th July, 1916. Born Coventry. Enlisted Birmingham. Resided Birmingham. Grave Ref. B. 20049. Birmingham (Yardley)

Cemetery.

PALMER, Private, Alfred Albert. 7942, Duke of Wellington (West Riding Regiment). Died, home, 4th August, 1917. Age 35. Born Coventry. Enlisted Warwick. Resided Birmingham. Husband of Mary Parnell (formerly Palmer), of 51, Larches St., Sparkbrook, Birmingham. Born in Birmingham. Grave Ref. Screen Wall. E. 24494. Birmingham (Yardley) Cemetery.

Hello Tharkin sorry i havent got photos of HUTT, Private, Herbert Henry. 5375, Worcestershire Regiment, and PALMER, Private, Alfred Albert. 7942, Duke of Wellington (West Riding Regiment).

sorry about that, but i do have photos of headstone and screen

Kevan

post-3604-1263162610.jpg

post-3604-1263162739.jpg

Corporal W. J. Dixon, of 2nd Worcstershire Regiment, whose home is in Denby Street, Bordsley Green, was called up with the special Reserves in 1914, and saw much service on the Western Font. He was wounded at Loos and died from the effects in the 1st Southern General Hospital, Birmingham on 21st December 1915. He was buried at Yardley with Military Honours.

has anyone got a photo of headstone

kevan

post-3604-1263164210.jpg

SPARKBROOK, MILITARY FUNERAL

The Funeral took place on Saturday last at Yardley Cemetery, of Pte Sydney Victor Tabberner, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, who died at 1st Eastern Military Hospital, Cambridge, on Wednesday last, the 4th., of pneumonia following severe wounds received in France, at the age of 31. The deceased soldier who was a native of Aston, attested under Lord Derby Scheme, and joined the Army in 19i15, and had been in France two years at the time he received his wounds. He was well known locally, having been an attendant at the Great Western Hotel for some years. The mouners were his brothers, Frank who has been a prisoner of war in Germany and arrived in England on Nov 27th. The coffin was conveyed on a gun carraige with the Union Jack.

Kevan

post-3604-023295100 1279046867.jpg

Hi Kevan

I have this man from the Birmingham City Police RoH.

Charles Henry SAUNDERS

Military Medal

Sergeant 143053

Special Brigade Depot, Royal Engineers, Died in England on Thursday 7 November 1918

post-10072-1263193994.jpg

Charles was born in Mile End, London, the son of Mr and Mrs Charles William Saunders. He was married to Elizabeth Harriett Saunders who is buried in the same grave as him. Charles enlisted in the Grenadier Guards at London and, completing his term, joined the Birmingham City Police on Friday 9 December 1910.Recalled to military service, Charles served in the Grenadier Guards with service number 13497, and was awarded the Military Medal.

Transferring to the Royal Engineers, Charles died at home of influenza. He was buried in Yardley Cemetery, Birmingham in Grave B. 17510 on Monday 18 November 1918 at 31 years of age.

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme.

here is another

SECOND LIEUTENANT A.V FLAVELL, OF SMALL HEATH

Mr A Flavell M.A., of Golden Hillcock Road, Small Heath, and Head Master of Yardley Road Schools, has nes of the death of his eldest son 2Lt A Flavell.

2Lt Flavell, who was 25 years of age, a flying man of some experience, was on a flight with an observer early on Friday morning last. It is believed that owing to some wing trouble developing soon after he had left the ground, 2Lt Flavell decided to descend the machince a new one, it is stated it caught the top of the hanger . The collision burst the petrol tank and set the contents on fire. The piolt was terribly burned and lived only twelve hours after the mishap. The observer was also injured, but is recovering.

The accident put an end to a promising carear, 2Lt Flavell before joining one of the City Battalions three years ago with his brother Herbert, who lost his life in one of the Somme battles in July 1916, sat for his inter B.SC exam at Birmingham University. He was educated both at his fathers school and at Waverley Road Secondary School. He served with the Royal Warwicks in France for 18 months, before coming home for his comission, which he gained just before last christmas, and was attached to the RAF.

The interment took place with military honours at Yardley Cemetery, on Thursday, six of the deceased officers comrades were acting as bearers. the Rev G H Moore of Erdington an ol;d friend of the family officiated. A large number of friends and sympathisers was present.

The Birmingham News.

post-3604-1263244466.jpg

BOY SEAMANS FUNERAL

ACCOCKS GREEN LADS FINE SPIRIT

Naval honours as far as it was possible were accorded to the interment at Yardley Cemetery, on Tuesday, of boy seaman F C Lamb, the sixteen year old son of Mrs Lamb a widow living at 49 Francis Road, Accocks Green. The deceased joined the Navy last October and following a period of training on HMS Impregnable, was transferred to HMS Royal Oak. He contracted pneumonia while at sea, but according to a letter sent to his mother by a chum, stuck to his duty although fainting on three occasions, until the ships doctor was sent for. He was landed at a port and placed in hospital but died on the 1st inst. Boy seaman Lamb was an old scholar of Holly Souls R C School, Accocks Green, and a touching tribute to him and fine spirit in offering himself to his country before he need have done so was offered by the Rev Fr Gibbon. Two sailor boys from Impregnable were present at the funeral. The arrangements were carried out by Messrs W H Painter Ltd.

post-3604-026395100 1279046375.jpg

Thanks for these interesting posts, Kevan. I have grandparents, great uncle and uncle buried at Yardley and I was surprised at the number of CWGC headstones I found last year when we had a family grave working party. If I see someone wandering about taking photographs in future I'll know it's you! :ph34r:

Kind regards

Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kevan

Do you have anything on a Joseph Frederick LEE ?

Joseph is buried in Yardley Cemetery, Birmingham in Grave B.14104

Regards,

Graeme

• 5 months later...