Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Body Density Maps - Request

iain mchenry

Would any kind soul be able to post or email me a section of the Body Density map, from post war battlefield clearances, that covered the area of Poelcappelle village and its immediate area.

Many thanks

Iain

Are body density maps widely available? I have seen one for the Flers area of the Somme, but would be very interested to know if there is one for the area around Maltzhorn Farm, Guillemont.

Ken

Good point Ken. I would appreciate the same for the Mametz Wood area as well.

Were such clearances rigorously mapped in every specific battlefield?

Were such clearances rigorously mapped in every specific battlefield?

In answer to the above, yes.

I seem to recall some maps were on the WFA website for some time. No idea if they still are after their revamp.

If you have Peter Barton’s ‘Somme – a new panoramic perspective’ then the best body density map of the Somme battlefields is on pp.308-9. However, whilst Guillemont is on there, Maltz Horn Farm is just of the bottom of the page whilst Mametz Wood is just off to the left.

Hi

The Somme discs from WFA contain Body density maps for 57C, 57D, 62C and 62D.

Peter

Hi Iain - emailed to you.

cheers

Jeremy do they give the locations as well, such as Ferdan House or just a basic map with body density figures?

Cheers

Steve

The Somme discs from WFA contain Body density maps for 57C, 57D, 62C and 62D.

Thak you for that Peter. It looks like a purchase is in order.

Ken

Jeremy do they give the locations as well, such as Ferdan House or just a basic map with body density figures?

Some wartime cemeteries are annotated but specific strongpoints (such as Ferdan House) are not mentioned. Each square measures 230x230m and the numbers in each square correspond to the total bodies found in that area in the postwar search by Army Exhumation Companies.

the numbers in each square correspond to the total bodies found in that area in the postwar search by Army Exhumation Companies.

Although this is a widely held belief it is not correct.

The main concentration excercise by the Labour Companies started in the middle of 1919. As a preparation for the work the Graves Registration Units prepared these maps to show where there were registered burials outside of registered cemeteries. These maps were then issued to the concentration/clearance teams.

Peter

Hi

I have compared the blue figures in the squares with a set of the exhumation burial returns fot the area and there is no corrolation.

One map I have has a correction made to the Blue figure in one square and the correction is dated April 1919 before the clearance started.

Some of the cemeteries shown are the ones that were concentrated to other sites. The numbers buried in these cemeteries are not shown in the Blue figures.

To go to the trouble of producing maps across the western front of the bodies found but not including those burired in the cemeteries cleared would be a pointless excercise at a time when all involved had a great deal of constuctive work to do.

Peter

In answer to the above, yes.

If you have Peter Barton's 'Somme – a new panoramic perspective' then the best body density map of the Somme battlefields is on pp.308-9. However, whilst Guillemont is on there, Maltz Horn Farm is just of the bottom of the page whilst Mametz Wood is just off to the left.

Thanks Jeremy. I do have it.

• 1 month later...
Hi Iain - emailed to you.

cheers

any chance that you could send me one of the same map.jim. email perscy705@btinternet.com

• 3 months later...

Hi

Does anyone have or would be prepared to email me the High Wood- Flers area Body Density Maps?

Ta

James

James

There is a copy posted by Norman (seadog) on this thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/l....php/t3603.html

Mel

Excellent - Thanks

Was it ever resolved why the square containing High Wood was ommitted?

The casualites in the area Wood Lane between High and Deville Wood are shocking.

I am assuming that this is from the clearance after the war, so a proportion of bodies, the easily found ones if you like were already removed after the Somme battle and before the area again fell to the Germans.

I am also assuming that this is Commonwealth dead only - not Germans?

James

• 1 year later...

Has anyone the file names of the Body Density Maps on WFA Mapping the Front disc Somme map squares 57C and 57D its driving me crazy trying to locate them.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Cancel my last i found the map not in the map folder but in supplements.

John