Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Link to Bulgarian World War 1 pictures.

James Blonde

Hallo Fellow members,

I came across this interesting link to WW1 Bulgarian

pictures, I think you will find it of interest.

http://www.lostbulgaria.com/?cat=210

N.B. Possibly some graphic images are there, I have not had time to see all the pictures

as the site is a work in progress with new pictures added daily, so far it has 12 pages connected to WW1

Connaught Stranger.

Some great moustaches!

The aircraft on p 2 is a BE12 and was the aircraft of Paul Denys Montague, a pre-war zooligist. He was shot down and kia by Ltn Renatus Heydacker on 29/10/1917. The Mosquito (The Newsletter of the Salonika Campaign Society) ran Montague's story in Issue 8.

Thanks for the link - these are great photos.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hallo Fellow members,

I came across this interesting link to WW1 Bulgarian

pictures, I think you will find it of interest.

http://www.lostbulgaria.com/?cat=210

N.B. Possibly some graphic images are there, I have not had time to see all the pictures

as the site is a work in progress with new pictures added daily, so far it has 12 pages connected to WW1

Connaught Stranger.

Great pics. One of the photos on page 12 is on SALONICA's battlefield tours site. Can anyone interpret the comments on the photos as I'd be interested to know if any of the shots are in the Kosturino area.

Regards John.

Can anyone interpret the comments on the photos as I'd be interested to know if any of the shots are in the Kosturino area.

Yes, wonderful photos, don't you wish you had a set like that of the British involvement in Salonika?

I would echo that request for anyone with linguistic ability to alert us to any that are of particular interest from a point of view as to particular battles with the British

Love the WW1 pinups in that first photo !

New member "Boss" pointed out this link back in November

... and no-one noticed :(

Most of the photos are of the 11th (Macedonian) Division. Google Translate does a pretty good job with the captions (better than IE8's Translate function!). Just Copy/Paste them into the text box and select Bulgarian > English.

Adrian

много благодаря за предложението да се използват Google за превод от български на английски език

To see a selection of British and other Salonika Campaign photos held by the Imperial War Musuem go to iwmcollections.org.uk

Open the photos search page. Put Salonika in the Keywords field and HU in the reference number field. This should bring up 90 thumbnails. A similar search using Q in the number field should bring 123 hits. Also try Macedonia in keywrods with similar HU and Q searches - you may get a few WWII images also but not too many. Most of the image selection and captioning was done by me - that is unless you find a dodgy one and then I'll blame it on a colleague!!!

ALAN

Thanks for that info Alan

The depths of my ignorance in being able to plumb the innards Imperial War Museum have been brought home to me

Your link to IWM and the Bulgarian?Macedonian site that Connaught Stranger put on at the start of this thread will keep me quiet for the rest of the day

New member "Boss" pointed out this link back in November

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=137813

... and no-one noticed :(

Most of the photos are of the 11th (Macedonian) Division. Google Translate does a pretty good job with the captions (better than IE8's Translate function!). Just Copy/Paste them into the text box and select Bulgarian > English.

Adrian

:hypocrite:

Some great moustaches!

The aircraft on p 2 is a BE12 and was the aircraft of Paul Denys Montague, a pre-war zooligist. He was shot down and kia by Ltn Renatus Heydacker on 29/10/1917. The Mosquito (The Newsletter of the Salonika Campaign Society) ran Montague's story in Issue 8.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Interestingly, this view of Montague's aircraft is new. It suggests there was at least two cameras present after the capture of the aircraft. (the most well known were taken by a German). I continue to collect fascinating material on this pilot (some from here in New Zealand!!) I could probably treble the length of the original biography now. The hole just in front of the pilot seat confirms my suspicion that he was killed by enemy fire in the air, rather than damage to the aircraft.

Fascinating.

Cheers

Simon

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I have just come across this site with the purpose of finding any information on my great uncle, Paul Denys Montague, and to my astonishment there seems to have been a great deal of information found on him. My grandparents have a photo copy of issue 8 in Mosquito (The newsletter of the Solonika Campaign Society) that focuses on my great uncle and his exploits before and during the war until his trajic death on the 29th October 1917. I have two questions, and if you were to answer them i would be most grateful. I went onto the link of Lost Bulgaria and on page 16 i came across a photograph apperently showing Paul donned in his R.F.C suit dead within his cockpit. The aircraft look completley smashed to pieces,however the BE12 in 'Mosquito' article looks far less damaged and all its components seem to be attached to the aircraft despite its 45 degree slant into the earth. Could the photograph of the man on page 16 have the incorrect caption? Finally does anyone have any records of where Paul was shot down and buried? To this day my family does not know where he was buried. Is it true a bulgarian aircraft dropped a package telling the British airmen Pauls exploits in the air before his heroic death?

Kind Regards

Alex

Hello simon,

I am unable to enter my profile to see the message you sent me. I will try later again to enter personnal chat. Thankyou for replying so soon. I thought this website may now be inactive but i am thrilled to see the interest in the 'Great War' is still very much alive.

QUOTE (Jonathan Saunders @ Jan 8 2010, 10:12 PM) Some great moustaches!

Regards,

Jonathan S

Interestingly, this view of Montague's aircraft is new. It suggests there was at least two cameras present after the capture of the aircraft. (the most well known were taken by a German). I continue to collect fascinating material on this pilot (some from here in New Zealand!!) I could probably treble the length of the original biography now. The hole just in front of the pilot seat confirms my suspicion that he was killed by enemy fire in the air, rather than damage to the aircraft.

Fascinating.

Cheers

Simon

Some great moustaches!

Regards,

Jonathan S

The aircraft on page 2 are all FK3 (Little Ack) I think there is a BE on a later page

Hi Alex

I'm Chairman of the Salonika Campaign Society and co-author, with Simon Moody, of Under the Devils Eye - Britain's Forgotten Army at Salonika 1915-1918.

I believe Simon contacted you with reagrd to your great uncle Paul Denys Montague? Did he mention that SCS members have located the crash site (near the village of Furka in FYROM)? There is an abandoned Bulgarian cemetery close by (site of WWI field hospital) - most likely resting place of PDM. A friend of mine has visted the site - many grave markers still in place. I am taking a group out to Macedonia next May and hope to visit the crash site and cemetery. If you are interested in coming along let me know.

ALAN

Hi everyone,

Good to make contact with some more of Paul's family. I havenot had a lot of time to do much more research receently, what with earthquakes here in Christchurch but I will be collating the info I have and have been sent by Jon Saunders as soon as I can.

The Nurses Chapel here dedicated to 4 Canterbury nurses killed en route to Salonika on the Marquette has been damaged in the quake by cracks. I have no further news but hope it should be saved - there is no visible damge from the outside. It is one of only two memorials to the campaign (the other being Stanley Spencer's chapel) I am aware of outside Greece.

regards

Simon Moody

Hello Connaught Stranger

Great images. I have added this website to the CEF Study Group List of Recommended Websites and included your call sign as the recommender. This website listing will be in the November 2010 Master List.

Regards

Borden Battery

Here are a couple geographically related websites.

Battles - The Eastern Front [Firstworldwar.com]

This is a sub-set of the FIRSTWORLDWAR.COM [Michael Duffy site] and includes the battles of Battles of Stalluponen, Gumbinnen, Tannenberg, First Battle of the Masurian Lakes, Battle of Bolimov, Second Battle of the Masurian Lakes, Battle of Lake Naroch and Battle of Lutsk. [CEF Study Group - Nov 2005]

http://www.firstworldwar.com/battles/ef.htm

OldPhoto - Czechoslovak Website

This Czechoslovak website contains a very large number of remarkable photographs and postcards from the Eastern Front with many of the photographs from Galizia territory and East Carpathian Mountains. [CEF Study Group - June 2005]

http://www.oldphoto.info/galerie/index.php?lang=english

WWI Eastern Front Foto - Nachlass eines Soldaten

This unique website presents the private photographs of both a German officer and German military archive photographs of the Eastern Front during the Great War. Most would appear to be unpublished and without notation. The images are unfamiliar and compelling and can be viewed individually or part of a slide show. Recommended for something quite different. [A Jens-Olaf Walter's Website][CEF Study Group - August 2006]

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't help but wonder if the observer on page 3 wasn't working in "the devil's eye".

• 3 years later...

Hello all,

It's been 6 years since I last posted on this forum discussion, however I'm rekindling the discussion as recent research points to the fact that the man seen dead in the cockpit on the LostBulgaria website is not that of my great great uncle, Paul Denys Montague. The photo in question can be found here: http://www.lostbulgaria.com/pic/1472.jpg.

Though the photograph caption claims that the man in the photograph is Paul, there are a few signs that it is not him. Firstly, Paul had a straight nose, lower forehead and less pronounced nostrils. I believe the man in the photograph is actually that of Lieutenant Joseph Lamont Bamford who served in 47 Squadron during the Salonika campaign and was shot down over enemy lines on the 20th August 1917. 

The following link has several photos of Lieutenant Bamford, who bears a striking resemblance to the man in the Lostbulgaria photograph. Note the raised nose bridge, chin shape and high forehead: http://www.magherafeltwardead.co.uk/persondepth.asp?cas_id=877

The original photo of Paul lying on the stretcher beside his stricken plane shows no debri from the force of the crash. However, in the Lostbulgaria photo, debri can be seen everywhere. Lieutenant Bamford's final minutes were described as follows:  It is with great grief that I write you about the death of your son. He was killed in an air fight on 20th August. He was fighting one Hun when another came up behind, and then, of course, it was all up. He must have been killed instantly, for his machine came down entirely out of control. They fought at 12,000 feet, and he fell in the Hun lines. 

Having lost control at 12,000 ft, the extent of the damage to the plane would have been extensive. However, Paul's plane unlike the LostBulgaria photograph shows no such damage. If anything, the photograph held in the IWM shows that Paul's plane was only lightly damaged.

I would like to know what others in this discussion think about my findings.

All the best,

Alex

Edited by Montague1917

• 6 years later...
On 04/10/2010 at 13:46, awakefield said:

Hi Alex

I'm Chairman of the Salonika Campaign Society and co-author, with Simon Moody, of Under the Devils Eye - Britain's Forgotten Army at Salonika 1915-1918.

I believe Simon contacted you with reagrd to your great uncle Paul Denys Montague? Did he mention that SCS members have located the crash site (near the village of Furka in FYROM)? There is an abandoned Bulgarian cemetery close by (site of WWI field hospital) - most likely resting place of PDM. A friend of mine has visted the site - many grave markers still in place. I am taking a group out to Macedonia next May and hope to visit the crash site and cemetery. If you are interested in coming along let me know.

ALAN

Hello, resurrecting this post for a request of information. Just attended a WFA talk and Paul Montague was mentioned, the talk was about Caius College alumni. Would be interested in any further information regarding the site of the crash and the abandoned cemetery. Any photo's? Thank you. 

I'm sure a few of us have photographs of the crash site, although I might have to dig around a bit to find mine. I think we'll probably be visiting it again when we do our 2024 tour, which is planned to spend some time  on  aviation in the campaign.

Keith

2 hours ago, diver99 said:

Hello, and thank you for the prompt reply. What are the details of the tour if you don't me asking? Thank you.

The Salonika Campaign Society, (please visit our website for a fuller set of information), organise a tour each year, that includes the anniversary of the Bulgarian armistice, where we attend various ceremonies and lay wreaths. The remainder of the tour includes walking days, visiting different areas in Greece and N Macedonia connected with the campaign. The programme varies, but we have twice visited the Montague crash site, which was identified from the background to photographs.

The commemorations of the armistice are normally held on the last weekend in September, but the exact dates obviously vary.

Keith