Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914 clasp

Skipman

I've just double checked his service papers and there's nothing there either. Looks like he was in hospital from near the end of August '14 so was only in the fight for a couple of weeks. Normally the clasp would have to be applied for... perhaps the medal roll will confirm this?

Hi, thanks for your information. I've just checked the medal roll of the 11 men on this particular page only 3 received their clasp. All them went to France together. One was kia 2-11-14. Was it just one of those things that happens when you have large amount of men.

Dominic

It had to be applied for and 1 day under german fire was enough to qualify. Lots didnt bother to apply for one reason or another and in these cases there would be no mention of the bar on the MIC even if they qualified.

Thanks for that. It seems such a simple reason so in other words he couldn't be bothered or simply slip from his mind.

Thanks to all.

Dominic

... It seems such a simple reason so in other words he couldn't be bothered or simply slip from his mind.

or maybe that he just wasn't aware that he was entitled...

NigelS

The issue of the clasp was botched from the outset: it was an afterthought for a medal that had been designed not to have any clasps. There was also a failure to recognise the problems caused not only by the casualties of WWI, but also by the rapid discharge of serving personnel.

This "under gunfire" thing is not true: one had to be with one's unit, and the unit had to be within range of enemy mobile artillery between 5 Aug and 22 Nov 1914, and the unit had to be on a long 'approved' list. For an automatic issue, the soldier needed to be not an officer, and serving when the roll was compiled.

Quite a lot of hoops to jump through, but being shot at was not one of them!

The "under fire" stipulation is used in some of the official documentation, including the initial Army Order as I recall. The requirement of being within range of enemy mobile artillery was taken as the measure for being "under fire."

Yes, the original AO 361/16th October 1919 para 1 '.... actually served under fire .......', but para 4. '....on duty within range of the enemy's mobile artillery ........'

By the same token, nobody shot at me in Cyprus 1960-1964, and I was certainly in range of aimed small-arms fire, let alone anything heavier. As witness a Bofors and a Vickers dug in at the bottom of my MQ garden! And we heard plenty of shooting. Not that I got a medal, just a promotion for being in the right place, although it felt like the wrong place!

Were 'Roses' only issued - whether on application or otherwise - to men who were in a position to wear them on ribands on service dress etc (ie still serving)? I have seen the MIC of an officer, where the family claimed his medals posthumously, which clearly states '1914 Clasp only'; another reason for the roses not being issued doesn't immediately come to mind.

NigelS

If his medals were issued posthumously he would not be wearing just the ribbon. For survivors who claimed them they were issued with clasp and roses whether they were serving or not.

In Addiction the soldier had to be verified by an Officer or SNCO in his unit that the soldier was within range of mobile enemy fire .There is a great website northeast medals which has the listing for the units that were entitled in mass to the Clasp subject to the verification .I dont know how much this was enforced .but have read it a few times i believe there is a mention of this on the site as well

MC

I seem to recall that 2 roses were the standard issue. This led to some soldiers attaching a rose to the full medal ribbon of their 14 Star in addition to the clasp. They were advised that this was incorrect and should not be done.

...There is a great website northeast medals which has the listing for the units that were entitled in mass to the Clasp subject to the verification...

The listing is linked in the thread mentioned in post #10. Unfortunately, it is incomplete as it only lists army units.

One of the problems arises from the fact that many of the officers or senior Non Commissioned Officers required to provide verififation were either dead or discharged before it was decided to award the clasp.

• 4 years later...

Bloody botch up. A 16th Lancer killed on 12th September 1914 does not have it mentioned on his MIC (Ephraim Deadman). A 16th Lancer wounded and subsequently discharged on 13th September does not have it mentioned either (Frederick Crame - my great grandfather who has a rose sewn on his medal ribbon but no clasp for whatever reason).

Make sure you check both sides of the mic. Not mentioned on the front of my gf's MIC but they are on the back.

Nigel

• 8 months later...

My grandfather (16th Lancer)had both clasp and rose, but unfortunately it was lost during the Blitz of the docks in Silver town, Essex.

Replacements were requested and evidenced prior to the replacements being posted in the 1970`s.