Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Green Howards

Guest Eric Smith

Guest Eric Smith

My Grandfather was a member of the Green Howards in WW1 however he started his short Army career in the Sherwood Foresters, my problem is where do I go to search for information??

I contacted the Green Howards Museum and asked for help, the retired Officer there told me that my Grandfather never existed neither did my father who I know joined the Green Howards in 1945.

I have my fathers and grandfathers service numbers - but the man in charge said not known. Which made me think that he never looked!!!

Consequently I am not that interested in talking to the Green Howards again - so help please!!!!! Where can I look?????

Eric Smith

Eric, the 'standard' search of medal entitlement documents and military service papers should reveal his history. (If you don't know what I mean, have a look at "Grandad's War" on the main site at www.1914-1918.net.) It is not at all unusual that the regimental museum is unable to help; most of them do not hold soldiers records.

Eric,

Unfortunately, not only do some regimental museums not know the answers, nor have the documents, some do not care.

Armed with a name and service numbers you should be able to find out quite a bit at the PRO. After a day there you will have many answers, more questions too, but that's research!

Rob