Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Munitionettes in Wales

Daviesh25

I have one reference to a munition worker in my town.

During the 1919 First Anniversary of the Armistice, a large celebration was held in the town square, and the Mayor presented medals and gifts to veterans and familes. The following week a letter was published in the local rag by a widow, thanking the Mayor for his generosity, then absolutly slating the shirkers who were so prominent on the square; and finaly asking for both "recognition" and a form of compensation to a certain Blodwen Simon, still in her teens, who had been blinded by an explosion in her munitions work.

The Mayor stated the following week that a benefits concert would be organised, and that he would personally cover the costs.

A benefits concert was finally held in March 1920, Blodwen was given half the proceeds - a sum of £25. I've no idea as to where the other half went.

I've done some brief enquiries - but I have no idea as to where she worked. I'm not aware of a munitions work here in Ruthin, though there was a munitions work here during WW2.

GtJ site can be informative. Welsh Voices of the Great War is the one to watch. Ta Tafski

• 2 years later...

I can report information for our search for May Prosser who appears on the Govilon war memorial. I was contacted by a descendent who discovered our e-mail enquiry on this forum. He reported that May (Mary) had died in 1917 in Rochdale. Details confirm she died on 3rd April 1917 from "..the effects of Tri nitrol toluene (TNT) poisoning contracted whilst working at Shell filling factory". She was just 26. I would be very grateful for any details of works near Rochdale that she may have been working in?.

There was a National Shell Factory on Mellor Street, Rochdale, producing the 6" shell from July 1916 onwards.

Jon

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

A postscript to my earlier attempts to track down why May Prosser appears on the Govilon War Memorial.

Following my earlier posts on this site a relative of May's came across the enquiry and got in contact. This opened the door to more research. May and her older sisters had moved at various times before the war to Rochdale; working in service to local families there. From July 1916 the National Shell Factory opened in Mellor Street, Rochdale and May went to work there. She tragically died in April 1917 from ".. the effects of tri nitrol toluene poisoning contracted whilst working at Shell Factory". This loss was not forgotten then, or today in her home village.