Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee Enfield with Periscope attached

G.Driver 10thLF

Hi

i recently saw some footage of a trench in Gallipoli and it showed a solder using a mechanism attached to a SMLE which allowed him to place the gun over the parapet and the soldier himself stay safely below it. Attached was a periscope so he could snipe. Can anyone tell be anything about the use of these, pictures etc. Where they of regular use or just another trench invention.

Cheers

- Graham

Periscopic sighted rifles, generally known as Sniperscopes or Hyposcopes were used extensively by all the combatants during the war.

There were a number of patents taken out in Britain during the war and many of these found there way into the trenches by way of private enterprise. Most however were the product of the Royal Engineer workshops in the various armies. IInd Army RE Workshops made a particularly neat model.

They were used not just for rifles, but periscopic sighting equipment was also made for Lewis and Vickers guns. (and even one patent for pistols!).

For a very detailed examination of the various models and patents see Anthony Saunders excellent book "Dominating the Enemy", ISBN 0 7509 2444 6, Sutton Publishing, 2000.

Regards

TonyE

Periscopic sighted rifles, generally known as Sniperscopes or Hyposcopes were used extensively by all the combatants during the war.

They were used not just for rifles, but periscopic sighting equipment was also made for Lewis and Vickers guns. (and even one patent for pistols!).

Some information on the Vickers Hyposcopes, courtesy Dolf Goldsmiths "The Grand Old Lady of No-Mans-Land":

http://s3.postimage.org/1ewc8S-12dd600f603...8a37b5d335c.jpg

1ewc8S.jpg

http://s2.postimage.org/1TGD5i-12dd600f603...8a37b5d335c.jpg

1TGD5i.jpg

(I can transcribe the bleached bit on page 488 if of interests).

This one was rigged up with a Long rifle.

Some arrangements required you to press the trigger with the wrong hand. This one with a wire or string was hardly likely to produce a good letoff.

standard.jpg

Sometimes said to be an Australian invention dating from Galipoli - this is incorrect as there are photos showing such devices in use on the WF before Galipoli. I enclose one such. Its quite sophisticated and allows the sniper to work the bolt without having to expose a hand

post-9885-1263039810.jpeg

Sometimes said to be an Australian invention dating from Galipoli - this is incorrect as there are photos showing such devices in use on the WF before Galipoli. I enclose one such. Its quite sophisticated and allows the sniper to work the bolt without having to expose a hand

I can't really tell from this size of picture but is this actually an SMLE / MLE? Can you tell on the original? If so it certainly appears to have had the magazine removed (which would negate the advantage of manipulating the bolt!) and looks as though it might have a straight bolt handle (or it may just be shadow). The safety does appear to be an early MLE bolt safety.

I know that various sporting rifles were used at different times (especially early) against armoured sniper positions etc so perhaps this is also one of those?)

There is an "long lee" (MLE) with p88 bayonet attached leaning up in the trench

Chris

I can't really tell from this size of picture but is this actually an SMLE / MLE? Can you tell on the original? If so it certainly appears to have had the magazine removed (which would negate the advantage of manipulating the bolt!) and looks as though it might have a straight bolt handle (or it may just be shadow). The safety does appear to be an early MLE bolt safety.

I know that various sporting rifles were used at different times (especially early) against armoured sniper positions etc so perhaps this is also one of those?)

There is an "long lee" (MLE) with p88 bayonet attached leaning up in the trench

Chris

It was originally a photo in a paper or periodical and I don't have a better version than this. I think the magazine is in place but in the photo is so light as to be difficult to see