Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R H A

Guest JIMEDWARDS

Guest JIMEDWARDS

Family legend has it that my Dad's Uncle( Joseph Rdgar Edwards) was a Major in 1918/19. The only thing I have on him is an old photo (with rank of Seargent) and information that a friend picked up from Kew a few years ago that he was commisioned in 1916 in France. I would like to find out a bit more about his movements, so would appreciate guidence.

Jim,

Go to your nearest large library and look for the army lists. Look him up in the index. Also try the London Gazette as this will give you commission details, including regiment/corps. You can then look in relevant war diaries. If he left the army before 1922, try his service records at the PRO.

That should be enough for starters.

Rob

Services of Military Officers 1919 has the folowing entry:

Edwards J E (Lt retired pay)

1914-19 Wounded. Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette 18 May 1917.

This sounds like your Great Uncle.

Charles M

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JIMEDWARDS

I'm afraid I don't know what Battery he was in. This is my basic problem. I have tried various web sites (inc the London Gazette) without sucsess. The only sparse information I have is that my Dad remembers being in his company in London when he was in the RFC and Uncle then held the rank of Major, this would be sometime 1918. and an undated postcard to his brother (my Grandfather) with the comment that he was "about to taste some Turkish Delight", which I presume was his way of saying that he was off to the Middle East. (Gallipoli or Mesopotamia?) Sparse information I know but it might give someone an idea.

or Egypt/Palestine. Chris.