27thBN

Do you activily collect WW1 Medals  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Medal Collector ?

• Yes often buy or trade
    • No not at all or only family medals
    • Have a few groups but not really my scene
    • Only buy when a medal comes along in my collecting theme

As a medal collector and WW1 enthusiast .I really wanted to get an idea as to how many forum members are active collectors

Thanks MC

Why is that then?

Mick

How about an option of "Often buy when medals to my theme appear, but rarely sell or trade"?

How about an option of "Often buy when medals to my theme appear, but rarely sell or trade"?

Absolutely!! :thumbsup::innocent:

I can go with that Option

Dan

Although I voted "No not at all or only family medals" I have been a member of the Orders and Medals Research Society of the UK for nearly 30 years.

Hi

How about buy to a theme when can afford it

Also looking for family medals

regards

Robert

Why is that then?

Mick

Well I suppose when it comes down to it i wanted to know what particular WW1 passion forum members have, and being collector myself i can get a feel of just how many members are on this forum for medal collecting information for research etc ,that's certainly not to say medal collectors have other reasons for being an enthusiast for other WW1 topics i certainly do ,but as a whole its medals and by having his medals i then look to find the story of the man behind them

MC

MC,

My ideal answer to the Poll his not there - but has been suggested by others.

A word of caution - there have been several issues in the past on this Forum where some members have become rather agitated verging on the downright abusive to medal collectors along the similar lines to certain Messrs Thompson and Stoffer (?) in Canada.

priv

MC,

My ideal answer to the Poll his not there - but has been suggested by others.

A word of caution - there have been several issues in the past on this Forum where some members have become rather agitated verging on the downright abusive to medal collectors along the similar lines to certain Messrs Thompson and Stoffer (?) in Canada.

priv

Hmm so i gathered from some other threads on similar topic .I am not trying to be a devils advocate just a curious forum member :blink: :blink:

MC

Only buy family medals or from junk shops as was or carboot sales, if anyone wants one I would give it to them at what it cost me, I never sell or trade. Would not buy off a dealer unless very close family....... had to say that as I am missing a Trio.

Regards Charles

27bn

I have one symbolic set plus a SWB. No theme,no trade etc etc.

Sotonmate

That's me too!

• 2 weeks later...

Well i would modify it again but its getting a bit long in the tooth for that now ,still have enough votes to get the general idea though

Thanks all MC

• 2 weeks later...

Since researching my great grandfather's, grandfather's, 2 great uncle's & wife's grandfather's WW1 stories from their memorabilia, medals etc. passed to us through our respective families I have begun collecting WW1 medals, badges & some other memorabilia in a small way but only if I can research the soldier or item. This is facinating & if you read some of my forum topics you will realise why. See Capt. Sidney Rogerson & Medals & Cap Badge identity challenge in particular.

I have recently bought some WW2 medals & Masonic medals belonging to George Simpson. These were being sold on ebay by his grandson! :w00t: On the positive side he has shared info for me to research. His story will be posted on a WW2 forum some time soon.

My real medal interest now is sporting Gold/Silver & Enamel medals made by Thomas Fattorini & Sons - www.fattorini.co.uk - since 1827 in Bradford, Bolton & to this day in Birmingham. I am currently having my lost/stolen Wimbledon Junior Hard Court Tennis Championships of GB (a Doubles title won in 1972 with John Lloyd) made from their original medal cast & since getting to know Thomas Fattorini, related to the original founder, I have seen the quality of their workmanship first hand. Their medals made in the early 1900's are stunning because although materials were expensive labour was cheap & their workmen had time to craft exquisit items. Readers maybe interested to note that the brass ON War Service Badge of 1915 was made by Fattorini & Sons amongst other badge manufacturers.

If anyone has Gold/Sliver & Enamel Fattorini medals (marked F&S or T.F. or T.F) & hall marked that they wish to sell please PM me. :)

Finally if you want to see what I've done with our my grandfather's memorabilia - to be passed to our children in due course - I post images below. B)

post-51610-1265312687.jpg

Since researching my great grandfather's, grandfather's, 2 great uncle's & wife's grandfather's WW1 stories from their memorabilia medals etc. passed to us through our respective families I have begun collecting WW1 medals, badges & some other memorabilia in a small way but only if I can research the soldier or item. This is facinating & if you read some of my forum topics you will realise why. See Capt. Sidney Rogerson & Medals & Cap Badge identity challenge in particular.

I have recently bought some WW2 medals & Masonic medals belonging to George Simpson. These were being sold on enbay by his grandson! :w00t: On the positive side he has shared info for me to research. His story will be posted on a WW2 forum some time soon.

My real medal interest now is sporting Gold/Silver & Enamel medals made by Thomas Fattorini & Sons -www.fattorini.co.uk - since 1827 in Bradford, Bolton & to this day in Birmingham. I am currently having my lost/stolen Junior Hard Court Tennis Championships of GB (a Doubles title won in 1972 with John Lloyd) made from their original medal cast & since getting to know Thomas Fattorini, related to the original founder, I have seen the quality of their workmanship first hand. Their medals made in the early 1900's are stunning because although materials were expensive labour was cheap & their workmen had time to craft exquisit items. Readers maybe interested to note that the brass ON War Service Badge of 1915 was made by Fattorini & Sons amongst other badge manufacturers.

If anyone has Gold/Sliver & Enamel Fattorini medals (marked F&S or T.F. or T.F) & hall marked that they wish to sell please PM me. :)

Finally if you want to see what I've done with our my grandfather's memorabilia - to be passed to our children in due course - I post images below. B)

post-51610-1265312960.jpg

My Fattorini sporting medals from 1900 - 1945. Hope of interest to readers? :D

post-51610-1265812444.jpg

Thought you might like to see George Simpson's WW2 medals etc. If anyone wishes to comment on them please do so - when I know his story & details of his military service I will post details of where it can be read.

post-51610-1266177010.jpg

Thought you might like to see George Simpson's WW2 medals etc. If anyone wishes to comment on them please do so - when I know his story & details of his military service I will post details of where it can be read.

Just to let you know now that I have sold these WW2 medals to enable me to purchase WW1 medals or Fattorini sporting medals which are my focus & real interest. :D

I used to be a collector, but since hearing the polemic I have decided collectors are dishonest abusers of heroes.

Since giving up collection I have become the good Samaritan that spends his hard earned money acquiring the awards and looking after the heritage of old soldiers, after their grandchildren have flogged them to pay for beer and crack cocaine.

Since becoming a Samaritan I am able to walk down the street with my head held high.

If the GREAT grandchildren are not crackheads and DO find a paying job, "google" will lead them to the family medals and they can happily buy them back for what I paid (plus postage and inflation worked into the price), Until that happens, granddads medals are safe in the coll... ummmm....sanctuary......

.... ;-)