Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army List 1905

Sue Light

Is it possible for anyone with a copy of the Army List for 1905, to check an entry for Miss Caroline KEER, Principal Matron, QAIMNS. Her date of appointment to the QAIMNS is unclear on a copy I have - it's 28th January .... - probably 1903, but I would be grateful for confirmation.

Thanks - Sue

The June 1904 Army List shows her as Principal Matron with date of rank of 28 Jan 03 and serving in Pretoria.Regards. Dick Flory

• 3 years later...

I have some information about Miss C H Keer's family background which may be of interest. Her name is mentioned in a 1907 tribute to her father (Major-General Keer of the Indian Salvation Army, ex Colonel of the East India Company). This article was found recently amongst my grandfather's papers. He had a copy given to him by Miss Honoria S Keer (Miss CH Keer's younger sister). Incidentally, Miss Honoria Keer became a renowned surgeon and for her work with Serbian refugees in 1918 was awarded the French Croix de Guerre, French Médaille d'Honneur and the Serbian Order of St Sava. She then worked for many years with the Colonial Service in Africa.

At the time of the tribute being written for her father (July 1907), the following is stated 'One of General Keer's daughters, Miss C.H. Keer, R.R.C. is Matron-in-Chief of the Q.A.I. Military Nursing Service.'

I hope this helps with your enquiries.