Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The other bayonet ID question...

coppertales

I should not rely on my memory. This bayonet is stamped 11 RF. Mfg date is 9-15. The grip is stamped Australia. Is this an Australian unit or was this bayonet a battlefield recycle? What cartouche did the Australians stamp in the metal of their bayonets, if any? Thanks....chris3

I should not rely on my memory. This bayonet is stamped 11 RF. Mfg date is 9-15. The grip is stamped Australia. Is this an Australian unit or was this bayonet a battlefield recycle? What cartouche did the Australians stamp in the metal of their bayonets, if any? Thanks....chris3

WWI Australian Bayonets were manufatured at Lithgow and are so marked (often with a star in a shield). Later (WWII production 1907 bayonets are marked MA, MAO etc)

The Australia marked grips are very common and are (I believe) replacements. They are all over auction sites etc.

11th RF might well be Royal Fusiliers.

THIS SITE might be of interest to you. It is not totally comprehensive but has some good information and mostly accurate as far as I can see.

I have linked to the Unit Marking page but if you click on the links on the left hand side it takes you to other pages with useful Enfield related information.

For specifically BAYONET RELATED MARKINGS THIS SITE is a good starting point.

Chris

Thanks for the info. The grips have been on this bayonet for a long time by looking at the petina of the screws and the dirt in the crevises. There is a light line across the 11 RF. Maybe this was a recycled bayonet from battlefield pickups. Who knows. I was advised of this bayonet info site at the gun show this past weekend but I was unable to access the site at work. chris3