Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

deano

The badge i have is number 221730, i believe issued between Sept. 1916 & Mar. 1918.

A friend who lives near Kew has offered to do me a look-up as to who it was issued to. I would like to make her research a lot easier if possible. I have read the LLT and post's on here re how difficult it sometimes can be to find the recipient of a SWB. So if anyone can narrow down the search that would be excellent.

regards

Dean.

Hi Dean

221730 was awarded to 395959 Private Reginald Albert Young of the Labour Corps.

He enlisted on 12th April 1915 and was discharged, aged 27, on 18th April 1917 due to wounds ( Gun Shot wound to Left Orbit )

Date of wounding 4th September 1916. At the time he was serving as Private 2372 with the Royal Sussex Regiment.

He has two mics, one as Reginald Young and one as Reginald A Young. His Service Papers are also on Ancestry, this also shows a Service Number of 5247.

Steve

Hi Dean

221730 was awarded to 395959 Private Reginald Albert Young of the Labour Corps.

He enlisted on 12th April 1915 and was discharged, aged 27, on 18th April 1917 due to wounds ( Gun Shot wound to Left Orbit )

Date of wounding 4th September 1916. At the time he was serving as Private 2372 with the Royal Sussex Regiment.

He has two mics, one as Reginald Young and one as Reginald A Young. His Service Papers are also on Ancestry, this also shows a Service Number of 5247.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm in exactly the same situation as Dean! How did you link the badge with its recipient. I plan to go to Kew. My badge number is 509470.

Regards,

Keith

Steve, that badge has been on my shelf for a few years now, i never thought i'd get an id of its recipient !! Thank you very much indeed.

I'd like to second Keith's question please.

regards

Dean.

Hi gents, is it possible to tell just from the badge No. roughly when it was issued ?

From my one visit to Kew my grandfathers badge no. was 250 264. Not sure if

I have missed something on the records to put another little piece in the jigsaw

as he was wounded twice. (I have a fair bit of other info Robert Thomson 263016 )

appreciated

bullyman

Steve

I think there is a typing error in your posting.

His discharge date was 18 December 1917

Regards

Ivor

Yes your right Ivor, the fingers were typing faster than the brain was working.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm in exactly the same situation as Dean! How did you link the badge with its recipient. I plan to go to Kew. My badge number is 509470.

Regards,

Keith

Hi Keith, Sorry but that is not a badge that has come up in my research so far. At the moment I can only id just over 200000 but I add approx 20000 new numbers to my database every time I go to Kew. There is a slight chance that it is in WO329/3154 but don't hold your breath. Themonstar might be able to id it for you.

Steve

Hello,

Any info on these two SWB numbers-

I have had them for years and did not know it was possible to ID the men behind them,

Regards,

Stewart

Hello,

Any info on these two SWB numbers-

I have had them for years and did not know it was possible to ID the men behind them,

Regards,

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

I've successfully found the recipient of a Silver war Badge starting from just the badge no. I went to the PRO and found a private researcher who was able to ID my man. I gave him my name, address and telephone number and a few days later I received a photocopy of the relevant War Badge Roll in the post. He only charged £2. I think he must have a cross-reference database of name to badge. I didn't get his address or phone no. but from memory his name was John Lloyd (90% sure!). But the PRO staff knew him and pointed him out to me. I believe he goes there often. Sorry to be a bit vague but I hope this helps.

Keith

That is indeed the thing to do. I'm not sure John would appreciate having his number publicised but he is your man for this.

Yes, I certainly wouldn't publicize any contact numbers without the owner's permission. I just remember him saying if I had any friends that wanted similar information he would be available.

Keith

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the information. However, I have not been to Kew for years and don't know when I will next get there. It's a long, expensive trip down from up here!

I will try contacting some of the researchers I have used in the past and see if they can help.

Regards,

Stewart

Hello Keith,

Thanks for the information. However, I have not been to Kew for years and don't know when I will next get there. It's a long, expensive trip down from up here!

I will try contacting some of the researchers I have used in the past and see if they can help.

Regards,

Stewart

Sorry Stewart I do feel an idiot not picking up your location!! Hopefully, your past researchers can help you.

Keith

Hello Steve,

I have two badges with a B prefix, B38712 and B256219. I would be most grateful if you could please provide any information about the recipients. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hello Steve,

I have two badges with a B prefix, B38712 and B256219. I would be most grateful if you could please provide any information about the recipients. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron

I can only help with B38712 - Awarded to :-

16246 Lance Corporal Joseph Whittle Royal Irish Fusiliers

Enlisted 03/09/1914 - Discharged due to sickness 07/11/1918

Served Overseas ( landed in France 08/08/1915 )

Steve

Hello Steve

Thanks very much for your help regarding Silver War Badge B38712 and identifying 16246 Lance Corporal Joseph Whittle, Royal Irish Fusiliers as the recipient. Your help is much appreciated.

Regards

Ron

Hello Again,

I have two badges with a B prefix, can anyone tell me the significance of the letter B please ? Steve has very kindly identified the recipient of one of the badges. I would be most grateful if anyone could please provide any information about the recipient of badge B256219. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

• 1 month later...

Can anyone provide any info on the recipient of badge no. 89865? Its one with a horizontal pin.

Many thanks.