Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th DLI after Messines

My grandfather, 2 Lt W R Brooke 20th DLI, was wounded on June 20 1917 in the vicinity of Eikhof Farm north of St. Eloi after the battle of Messines Ridge. The battalion war diary pages for June 17-21 were missing when I tried to obtain them from the PRO last year. Does anyone have copies for these dates or know if they exist elsewhere? I will of course be more than happy to pay any copying and shipping charges.

Thanks,

Charlie

They may exist within Durham County Record Office. They certainly have this:-

"Battalion Histories and Scrapbooks

Ref No. D/DLI 2/20/1

History of the 20th (Service) Battalion, The Durham Light Infantry, (Wearside), containing copy entries from the war diary, photographs, newspaper cuttings and letters, June 1915 – 31 August 1918

(1 volume, leather half-bound)"

They also have a very long list of named photographs in their on-line catalogue, here:-

20th Bn. DRO

Keep scrolling down until you find the 20th Bn stuff. Good luck!

Charlie,

For what it's worth I have the WD of the 123rd MGCoy - ie the same Brigade as 20 DLI. I looked up 17-20 June and it does mention that x people were wounded (?by shellfire) but nothing else of any great interest. My grandfather was CO 123 MGCoy and mentions the 20 DLI quite a bit in his letters and has some photographs of them - but no mention of your grandfather I'm afraid.

Richard, what a fantastic resource, I'm printing the list of 20 DLI material out right now. I still need to try to find Leather's book but these lists may fill in a few gaps for me. thanks

Julian

in the vicinity of Eikhof Farm north of St. Eloi after the battle of Messines Ridge.

Charlie

Here is a map with the Farm, just before the Battle of Messines.

Robert

post-2-1084094928.jpg