Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drunk last night--Drunk the night before-

HIGHSPEN

Amongst photo copies of my uncle Ned`s(1447 Pte. E.T. Dixon. 9th Bat. D.L.I) papers is an only partly readable Charge sheet in which he forfeited two days pay for being drunk "about 9.30 p.m. 6th 1915 to 9.30 p.m. 7th March 1915 !!!

I can`t help feeling that this was probably the "one and only occasion" since he arrived in France on 20th April 1915 and was killed at Sanctuary Wood on 31st December 1915.

Just a small bit of human interest in a a short life.

This prompts me to enquire whether this was a standard "punishment" and whether it would have been been more severe if it had occurred on the Western Front.

And how could someone be drunk for 24 hours!!

In my case my Great-grandfather was reduced in rank from Sergeant to Private with 28 days Field Punishment no.2 for being drunk on active service.

And I'm quite sure that he could have been drunk for more than 24 hours if he;d tried a bit harder :rolleyes:

Drunkenness was considered a serous crime. It was possible for a soldier to be imprisoned, or an officer cashiered, if found guilty of a serious case.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

The records of 110 Squadron record the Court Martial of an officer (name witheld by me) who was found drunk in a brothel. In addition he resisted arrest and threatened to shoot a Military Policeman. He was admonished for threatening to shoot the MP, but cashiered for being drunk.

The PRO reference for further reading is Air 1/1772.

Ian

And how could someone be drunk for 24 hours!!

You supply me with the cash, and I'll show you!!!! :lol: