Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cantle, Limepit and Horseshoe Hills

ddycher

All

Having gotten as far as I could with 75th Division actions in the Judaean Hills in Nov'1917 (be happy to share if anyone is interested) I am currently tracking the 232nd Bde through events of December 1917. Generally a quiet month where the Bde were in and out of the line but mostly involved in road building. However there are some ref's to action in the following hill areas :

Cantle Hill

Limepit Hill

Horseshoe Hill

I know these are in the Ramleh - Ludd - Dantrah area but have been unable to place so far.

Anybody have any thoughts / recommendations.

Regards

Dave

Michael

My bad - apologies - Sloppy typing.

Am indeed talking about Kh. Dathrah. Dathrah was taken by the 232nd Bde (specifically the 2/5th Hants) on the 15th of December. Apparently to take Dathrah the 2/5th Hants first had to take Cantle and Limepit Hills. However looking N.E from Sheikh Obeid Rahil I am struggling to get a picture of either of these on the way to Dathrah. Unless they are the hills :

a. to the N.E of Budrus and

b. to the W of Kibbiah

however I had the positioned the 2/5th Hants further to the NW.

This during the 75th Divisions advance to the N.E of Beit Nabala. Currently looking at the attack on the Bde front from the 2/4th Somersets at Kh. el Bornat S.E to the 2/3rd Gurkhas at Kibbiah. Gets little more than a couple of lines in the OH (not mentioning the hills at all only advances up the hillside to Ibanneh. Dathrah likewise is not mentioned). Advance of the EEF merely states that some resistance was met at Kh. Ibanneh.

WRT Horseshoe Hill (or Horse Shoe Ridge) - pure guess work at the moment but I think this along with Mound Hill must have been somewhere north of Beit Nabala and possibly around Kh. el Bornat. These hills were taken on the 22nd December as the 232nd again pushed forward to take Kh. el Beida and Kh. el Bireh. I am trying prove my guess that Horse Shoe Ridge is the U shaped ridge with Kh. el Bireh on one side and Kh. el Bornat on the other. Have not found any documentary evidence to support this yet though.

Regards

Dave

Very sorry Dave, but I'm afraid that all I can offer here, is to remind you of the Conder/Kitchener PEF maps [of May 1878 in this case] The shading used gives one a very good idea of the topography, however it will not help with names used in 1917!

The PEF maps are here http://www.jnul.huji.ac.il/dl/maps/pal/htm...al002368494.htm

and Sheet XIV is the one for Kh Dathrah; it is about 3¾ miles in from the western edge

regards

Michael

Thanks Michael.

These maps and the written volumes to match (which are downloadable from www.archive.org) what I am using to track the campaign.

Best Regards

Dave

Just read again my last response which comes over as arrogant in the extreme. Apologies it was not intended that way Michael. As always I appreciate your support and input which has been invaluable to my own studies.

Regards

Dave

Take it easy old chap!

No offence taken here, whatsoever.

I said it was a 'reminder' well knowing from past experience that you are amply supplied with reference books,

and no doubt better organized than myself on the electronic front.

But,

how nice to find such polite company in OTs (Oops, sorry, I see that we are now called OFs - Other Fronts)

another reason why so I rarely stray into Western Fields

With very best regards

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

A small step forward on this one

For Horse Shoe Hill please see the map section below

[which is taken from the OH's map No. 19, Megiddo 1918 (layered map with Turkish Dispositions 19 September 1918)]

Never mind that it's the wrong date it must be the same Horse Shoe Hill, and indeed proves your guess

see 2nd Jan above "I am trying prove my guess that Horse Shoe Ridge is the U shaped ridge with Kh. el Bireh on one side and Kh. el Bornat on the other."

MapHorseshoehill.jpg

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Michael.

That's great - exactly what I was looking for. Much obliged.

Regards

Dave

• 7 years later...

Back in this area for the first time in a while. Have found some contemporary refs which appear to refer to Beit Nabala as Nebellasam which I had never come across before. Geography and the weather stated fits but cant be 100% sure though as the memoires seem to cite  larger engagement than that reflected in the war diaries.

Anybody have a reference to Nebellasam in their research ?

regards

Dave