Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ph0ebus

Hi all,

Just noticed the medal my great-grandfather, Walter Emmanuel Harold Gale, is wearing on his lapel in this pic:

post-32240-1262041461.jpg

I apologize for the quality and size of the photo, but it is the best I can get. Given he was born in 1863 in Exeter, England I am safely assuming it is not a Great War Service medal, but I honestly do not recognize it. Is it even military-related? Any takers?

-Daniel

It will be very difficult to assess from that photo.

However, there are several avenues, and his career etc might help you. For example it could be a civic coronation or jubilee medal, was he a councillor, mayor etc? Was he in one of the volunteer services?

Good luck though.

Lodge medal ?? very hard with as said a small picture

MC

IIRC one of the early USA Campaign medals has a similar suspension{ie a Pin Bar Clasp with chains holding the planchet.....{Possibly in "Taffrails" Medals & Ribbons??} ["Dewey Medal???"]

I have one like it from the Clan Macrae Scty schenectady ny.

Dan

From one Dan to another, thanks!

So, a non-Military pin. I will look around a bit more (thanks for the tips, Harry) and should I get anything nearing a positive ID will share with the rest of the class.

-Daniel

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

Ressurecting this thread as I just was given a second, earlier photo of Walter wearing a different 'medal':

post-32240-0-86517600-1336997523.jpg

I am hoping the eagle eyes of the forum can tell me something at least based on the shape...I know I am grasping at straws but any ideas would be welcome.

-Daniel

EDIT: why did the picture turn out so tiny?! Hopefully this pic below will fix that...sorry!

post-32240-0-49280200-1336997915_thumb.j

The 'medal' in context:

post-32240-0-66434400-1336998702_thumb.j

I am not sure what date the photo was taken, which of course is not helping.

-Daniel