Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'R P' British General Hospital

Chris Noble

Hi.

I have come across this reference to the above in one chaps service record. As far as i can make out, the location is Wimereux and the chap in question was transferred here in early 1915. Definately reads as 'R P' but what does this term actually refer to?

Kindest regards.

Chris.

Chris

It was the Rawal Pindi BGH, which moved up to Wimereux from Marseilles in January of 1915. I have some details of the nursing staff, who were members of Queen Alexandra's Military Nursing Service (India) which includes some general detail of the hospital - it moved back to Marseilles in November of 1915:

The Rawal Pindi Hospital opened at Wimereux in two Hotels, the ‘Continental’ and ‘La Plage’, and owing to the innumerable small rooms, and consequent difficulty in management, Miss Rait was wired for from Marseilles to join the Rawal Pindi, as Miss Watt’s Assistant. The number of beds was 520, and later 570, and the Nursing Staff was made up to 39 with Reserve and Territorial Nurses, and later to 50, the numbers varying according to the pressure of work. The greater part of the Sisters were billeted with Miss Watts at the Hotel Mulier, not far distant from the Hospital buildings, and occupied entirely by them, and the remainder with Miss Rait in a ‘Pension’ immediately opposite the ‘Mulier’.

In March 1915, in order to meet the required expansion, another building, at some distance from the Hotel, was taken over, the ‘Chateau Mauricien’, with many small rooms on three floors, and a total of 40 beds. Miss Rait was appointed in charge of this new division of the Rawal Pindi, with a staff of 8 Nurses, and when it was opened as an Officers’ division later, the Nursing staff was augmented to 12, partly by depleting the staff of the other 2 Hospitals. In April, as the work increased, and the Hospital at Marseilles was reduced to 20 beds only for British Troops and 5 for Officers, Miss Heale and Miss Johnson were instructed to leave Marseilles, and to report for duty at the Rawal Pindi.

Sue

Hywyn can produce my pages quicker than I can :lol:

Sue