Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
alf mcm

Ancestry new records for 2010

alf mcm

Ancestry have made the following announcement, for data to be added in 2010:-

<H4 style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt">UK Military Citations</H4>Find your brave British ancestors in these UK Army campaign medal rolls (1793-1949) and distinguished-conduct medal citations (World War I), as well as UK Navy medal rolls (1793-1975).

Looks interesting, lets hope they can keep to schedule.

Regards,

Alf McM

River97

We will have to wait and see. Lets hope they get their indexing in order. :w00t:

Cheers Andy.

Chris_Baker

If they really are talking about campaign medal rolls, that is one hell of a project.

Guest Rundberg

If they manage that (and place everything in order...) I´ll be "forced" to subscribe! :ph34r:

Chris

alf mcm

I don't want to appear selfish, but it would be great if they did the Great War medal rolls first!

Regards,

Alf McM

NeilEvans
Lets hope they get their indexing in order. :w00t:

Cheers Andy.

I live in hope :rolleyes:

Maybe getting their current databases correct should be more of a priorty.

Neil

27thBN

lets hope that its not like service records for ww1 only about 15 percent of total actually there .MC

NeilEvans
lets hope that its not like service records for ww1 only about 15 percent of total actually there .MC

Not heard that one. Tell me more

Neil

Stebie9173

If you mean 15% of the total men served in the Army, then that is probably a slight under-estimate (supposedly more like 25-30%), but putting pictures of the ashes of the other 75% would be a bit boring.

Unlike the Australian and Canadian records, the vast majority of the British Army WW1 service records just do not exist anymore - the Blitz saw to that. What is not in existence cannot be reproduced (unless there is a 97 year old pre-WW2 clerk with a photographic memory still scribbling out records somewhere)

Steve.

NeilEvans

I was thinking where is 'there' as 27thBn put it.

unless there is a 97 year old pre-WW2 clerk with a photographic memory still scribbling out records somewhere

Dont get my hopes up.

Neil

shinglma
If they really are talking about campaign medal rolls, that is one hell of a project.

I would be surprised if they meant all medal rolls in that time frame. My guess is that they will start with those on microfilm in WO 100. They would be quick enough to scan but, given the poor state of many Victorian Medal Rolls, a nightmare to index. I hope they invest more time in to that part of the project than with previous recordsets but I won't be holding my breath.

Regards

Mike S

Guest Rundberg

I wonder how many members a fan club for Ancestry would have from this forum? :lol::lol:

Chris

Paul Reed

Personally I doubt if this will be the medal rolls in WO329 as the cost of digitising them would be enormous. What I suspect is that these are the medal rolls in WO100 at TNA which are on microfilm and technically relatively easy to digitise. It may well include the few hundred WO329s that are on microfilm which are largely cavalry and artillery from what I recall.

delta
I wonder how many members a fan club for Ancestry would have from this forum? :lol::lol: Chris

To be honest, Ancestry aren't perfect but they have helped me a lot in my searches

Certainly a lot better than trying to get to the National Archives on a daily basis

S

gnr.ktrha

Have all the Service and Pension Papers been put on ancestry? Or are we still waiting on some being added?

Regards,

Stewart

Tinhat47

I was under the impression that the service records from the letter N onward had yet to be uploaded. I'm not sure about the pension records ... I've found some with names beginning with letters after the letter N, so those may all be up.

Did Ancestry's recent upgrade fix the keyword seach that stopped worked several months back?

delta

Records from N have been uploaded

Stebie9173

All records are supposedly uploaded. Keyword search is still broken, and in fact they have "broken" the entire Search of the Service Records on the .co.uk site.

Steve.

27thBN
To be honest, Ancestry aren't perfect but they have helped me a lot in my searches

Certainly a lot better than trying to get to the National Archives on a daily basis

S

Well i think that for every 20 men i search for i do find service records for 1 of them..what could you ask for (like 90% would be better for what you paid ) ancestry is not a 5 pound service ,so yes i expect more and Complete info ,at least all that is available

MC

Tinhat47

^^ That's lousy. The rest of the records being uploaded almost makes me want to sign up again, but what's the use when it takes all day to find if just one soldier even has any papers available at all.

27thBN
^^ That's lousy. The rest of the records being uploaded almost makes me want to sign up again, but what's the use when it takes all day to find if just one soldier even has any papers available at all.

Well it takes all day if you dont find his service papers at all ,as you will just keep looking i have found that if you have not found it an full hour or so you are not going to find him.I then ask the forum in the form of a question about a service record does anybody have access that way if you missed it others my not

MC

June Underwood

I think the operative word is "surviving". ie all surviving Service Records are supposed to have been included. Only a small percentage of records survived enemy action in WW2, so we are very fortunate to even have access to that small number.

Initially I had difficulty accessing the records after letter N until I realised that you could only access them on the new page. I had A-N stored as a favourite and cannot use this for anything after N. It now works perfectly and I have just tried searching for a name that I know is there and the search took about 4 seconds. I hope you find that this works http://www.ancestry.co.uk/learn/military-r...ce-records.aspx

Good luck

June

gnr.ktrha

Hello and thanks for the replies. I knew that all the surviving Pension Records were ment to be up, but I was not too sure about the service papers.

Will need to keep looking.

Regards,

Stewart

per ardua per mare per terram
I don't want to appear selfish, but it would be great if they did the Great War medal rolls first!

For naval forces that would be relitivly easy as they have already been microfilmed and the UKNA ‘digitisation’ is to copy the microfilms. The War Office WWI medal rolls cover over 3,000 books; that is a far bigger task.

Guest Rundberg

I got curious what Ancestry de facto will post in 2010 and mailed them and asked. This is the answer I got....

"We continually add records to the site to increase what we have available for our customers. I do not have a timetable or details of the records that will be added in 2010."

I hope this instructive answer clears everything. :blink:

Chris