Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sierra Leone Battalion

jiff1

I have a book written by Lt. R. P.M. Davis (late of Royal Scots Fusiliers). This book covers the activities of the Sierra Leone Police force from 1829 to 1928. The book in full of place names/skirmishes from 1829 and there are many names in the book (both civillians and service) including those killed/wounded prior to and in the 'Great War' 1914 - 1918.

I would be grateful to know if anyone has any interest in this period/unit.

Hi and Welcome to the forum i have a Chap... D Edison W.A.A.F from 1900 in the unit you are talking about is there any mention of him

Thanks MC

Hi and Welcome to the forum i have a Chap... D Edison W.A.A.F from 1900 in the unit you are talking about is there any mention of him

Thanks MC

hI

Regret can't find that name although I'll keep an eye out for him as I progress through the book.

Regards

jiff1

That is a very hard-to-find book - I have been searching for it for years.

I am very interested in that battalion.

Please could you send me an email to: harryfecitt@yahoo.co.uk so that we may discuss events.

Harry

• 3 months later...
I have a book written by Lt. R. P.M. Davis (late of Royal Scots Fusiliers). This book covers the activities of the Sierra Leone Police force from 1829 to 1928. The book in full of place names/skirmishes from 1829 and there are many names in the book (both civillians and service) including those killed/wounded prior to and in the 'Great War' 1914 - 1918.

I would be grateful to know if anyone has any interest in this period/unit.

Hi,

I'd be interested to know if there is mention of a H G de L Ferguson.

He was a captain in 4th (Militia) battalion Norfolk Regiment and got a DSO for service in Sierra Leone. He later served in South Africa but resigned his commission in 1906. He returned to the colours in 1914 to command 8th Battalion Norfolks on the Western Front.

From what little I can gather it was common practise for militia officers to serve in West African constabularies, presumably to see a little active service.

Thanks in anticipation.

Richard Dace